Thread: The greed of it!

Angry The greed of it!

Hi all,

RAC member for 6 years, about time I got on here

My question; I was involved in a rear end shunt a few weeks back. The damage to the car was classed as "light impact damage" as I knew it would be.

The car was declared a total loss as the current market value is £1800. The quotation through my insurance was a staggering £2700!!

I had an independant assesment before the car was collected which worked out at £900-£1000 using second hand parts (tailgate only).

My argument is the insurance have put it in a catergory B due to cost alone. It makes me MAD that when I read through the engineers report that the car has simply been outpriced by the greedy repair garage with examples of:

Rear centre tail light £65.00... it just needs fixing back on!
    Bumper covers £300... nothing wrong with them, just in need of repaint.

I'm in engineering and it makes me mad that I simply handed it over to the insurance expecting them to do their job, not scrap the b**** car.

The car in exceptional condition for its age and am very keen to hang on to it, as another would cost me three times its book value to replace.

Can anyone tell me what grounds I have to get the car re-catergorised as a C or D considering I've been told twice that the ONLY reason the car's been written off was on financial grounds alone?

Thanks for your help.

HI, WHAT WOULD BE THE BEST OPTION TO YOURSELF WOULD BE TO ACTUALLY BUY THE CAR BACK FROM THE INSURANCE COMPANY AS SALVAGE, THAT WAY YOU CAN GET THE REPAIRS DONE YOURSELF AND HAVE IT RE-MOT'D ONCE REPAIRS HAVE TAKEN PLACE, THAT WAY YOU GET TO KEEP YOUR BELOVED CAR! I WORK IN INSURANCE AND TO ME, I FIND THIS THE BEST OPTION AVAILABLE TO YOURSELF..

REGARDS

Quote Originally Posted by Andy75 View Post
    Hi all,

RAC member for 6 years, about time I got on here

My question; I was involved in a rear end shunt a few weeks back. The damage to the car was classed as "light impact damage" as I knew it would be.

The car was declared a total loss as the current market value is £1800. The quotation through my insurance was a staggering £2700!!

I had an independant assesment before the car was collected which worked out at £900-£1000 using second hand parts (tailgate only).

My argument is the insurance have put it in a catergory B due to cost alone. It makes me MAD that when I read through the engineers report that the car has simply been outpriced by the greedy repair garage with examples of:

Rear centre tail light £65.00... it just needs fixing back on!
    Bumper covers £300... nothing wrong with them, just in need of repaint.

I'm in engineering and it makes me mad that I simply handed it over to the insurance expecting them to do their job, not scrap the b**** car.

The car in exceptional condition for its age and am very keen to hang on to it, as another would cost me three times its book value to replace.

Can anyone tell me what grounds I have to get the car re-catergorised as a C or D considering I've been told twice that the ONLY reason the car's been written off was on financial grounds alone?

Thanks for your help.

Hi there thnks for your reply.

That would be a good option but the problem I have is its still a catergory B which would prevent me from ever getting the car back on the road and by the sounds of it they wouldn't be willing to let me have it back anyway.

The more I've looked into this I'm certain they have a new buyer interested, they simply outpriced the car from me, put it into catergory B to stop me getting it back, then will repair an sell on to another buyer as the car is slighlty rare.

To me this is starting to look more like a fraud case, problem I have is knowing which step to take next, police maybe?

If you are willing to sign the 'repairs carried out to my satisfaction' waiver at the end of the claim, and your insurance company are any good, they will agree to second hand tailgate, refitting tail lamp unit and painting of bumper. Bear in mind, they would be out of pocket £xxx if they write it off. Worth talking to them.