Thread: Does my car have to written off?

Unhappy Does my car have to written off?

Hi,

I was rear shunted the other day, being at the front of a four car RTA, white van man failed to stop.

I have had my car assessed (M reg laguna) and been informed that as the repair bill is aroun 1500 MY insurers have declared my vehicle a write-off. I guess the value of my car would be 400-500.

As the accident was not my fault, can I not insist on the car being repaired be the same standard as it was prior to the accident and not have it written off. Surely the money will come from the white van mans insurance.

Are my insurance company just taking the easy route, or is their nothing I can do.

I don't see why I should be put out when the accident was not even my fault.

thanks in advance.

As you say the car is worth 400-500, and repairs cost 1500, then it will be written-off as 'beyond econimical repair'. Insurance companies will not pay more than the car was worth before the accident. Realisically, you could probably repair if for a lot less, so it may be worth buying it back as salvage and doing the work yourself. Remember though, that you will have to get a new MOT, at least, after repair, so take this cost into account.

Thanks, but do I have to accept my car as a write off, my insurance company can surely claim the full cost of repairs from the other parties insurers. Why do I have to accept a loss, when the accident was not my fault.

I am not aware of any circumstance where an insurance company will pay more than a car's value to have it repaired. (Discounting agreed value insurance, which I do not believe you have). You can claim for 'uninsured losses' and compensation, which will boost your claim enabling you to either buy another car, or maybe pay for yours to be repaired. Usually insurance companies write off due to cost of new replacement parts and painting. It would be worthwhile explaining your predicament to a bodyshop and seeing what they could offer in terms of make-do-and-mend.