Thread: Picking up hitchhickers = bad mistake!

Default Picking up hitchhickers = bad mistake!

Hi All,

I have just joined this forum and I have a small story and a question to ask you all.

My father foolishly recently picked up three hitchhickers early in the morning, while the journey went well for a while....his passengers turned sour and led forced him into a quiet street....

They beat him up and bruised him quite badly, took his money and smashed his car and stole his car keys..., now my dad has learnt his lesson but now he has to make a claim to his insurance..

He has fully comprehensive cover and around 10 years no claims bonus. If he explains to his insurance company the circumstances of the attack, will the insurance company be liable to repair his car for him? Would they turn around and say that him pickin up passengers was his own fault and that they were not liable to repair his vehicle for him.

Any help appreciated.

Sorry to hear of your fathers story. Has he reported the incident to the police? I would think you would need a crime reference number to be able to proceed with the claim. The only way to know is contact your insurance company and ask their advice. You may also find that you have a legal advice service attached to your insurance policy.

Quote Originally Posted by Sussex Patrol View Post
    Sorry to hear of your fathers story. Has he reported the incident to the police? I would think you would need a crime reference number to be able to proceed with the claim. The only way to know is contact your insurance company and ask their advice. You may also find that you have a legal advice service attached to your insurance policy.
    Thank you for your reply..Yes we have reported the incident to the police and we have a crime reference number..

We're right now looking at the insurance policy but like most insurance policies it is filled with loads of jargon.

I just wanted to equire here before we contacted them.