Thread: Write-off question

Default Write-off question

A car crashed into me the other day and he was completely to blame. I got quote from a garage to fix the car, and it was almost my cars value, even though it is only cosmetic damage. I have put in a claim with the other parties insurance, but now I am worried that they will write-off the car. If the car is declared a write-off, what happens? I want to keep the car, it is perfectly driveable and just has a dent in the front wing. If they give me a sum of money for it, am I able to keep the car, or does it have to be scrapped? Finally, how long would I expect to wait before they get back to me?

Thanks

The other insurance company will contact you when their insured contacts them. Don't rely on the other driver giving a report which coincides with yours. This is why most claims take so long to sort out. As to being written-off, generally you have to agree this with the other insurance company. It can take as little as two weeks before you get your money, but it is all down to what the other driver tells his insurance company.

Quote Originally Posted by djbog View Post
    A car crashed into me the other day and he was completely to blame. I got quote from a garage to fix the car, and it was almost my cars value, even though it is only cosmetic damage. I have put in a claim with the other parties insurance, but now I am worried that they will write-off the car. If the car is declared a write-off, what happens? I want to keep the car, it is perfectly driveable and just has a dent in the front wing. If they give me a sum of money for it, am I able to keep the car, or does it have to be scrapped? Finally, how long would I expect to wait before they get back to me?

Thanks

hi there i work in insurance, if the car is declared a write off you can apply to keep the salvage off your insurance company but before it will be roadworthy again you will need to have it re mot'd so the insurance company know that it is legal to drive following your accident, also you either have the money they offer or you have the car back - unfortunately you dont have the option to keep both, and finally it depends on the lenght of time it takes the assessor to come out and assess the vehicle and get his engineers report in to the ins. company.. can take a while, but usually a write off claim gets settled within 10-12 working days.
    hope this helps
    Last edited by Jon Grant; 20-12-07 at 12:10.