Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Toyota Corolla gearbox problems

Unhappy Toyota Corolla gearbox problems

Hi,
    I bought a toyota corolla 8 months back from a toyata dealer with 1 year warranty. It is 1.6 liter petrol 2002 model hatchback.
    Few days back I had a breakdown and RAC suggested it was a gearbox issue. While driving I can hear friction noises.
    toyota garage are saying they need to open the gearbox to identify the problem and that would cost 1000 GBP. if the problem is covered under the standard warranty then they will pay for that otherwise I will have to pay for that.

The car has done 55000 miles and has been regularly serviced at Toyota garage.

Can you help me as what problems can there be and if there are any issues which they will not cover under warranty.

Also are they right in asking me to pay to diagnose the problem? can the issues be just wear and tear of gearbox, is it normal for the gearbox to go after 55K miles.
    Last edited by srsg38; 29-11-07 at 13:58. Reason: spelling mistake

Please not this is only opinion and guesswork. If an oil seal has failed causing oil loss and a problem has arisen because of this, I think you may be liable as 'rubber' components are not usually covered.
    Your description of a grinding noise sounds like it could be a failed bearing or shim causing wear to the gearbox housing. In this instance I would advise not to drive the car as gearbox 'could' seize.
    I do not think it usual for a gearbox to fail at 55k, but unfortunately, as it was a used vehicle, you don't know how previous drivers have used/abused it.

Thanks for your reply. My gearbox has been a bit noisy. In fact Toyota noted that in the last service they did ( 2 months back). I am not using the car anymore.
    Is their a way to figure out if it has been caused by oil leek?

A visual inspection should confirm an oil leak. Bit concerned about comment 'Toyota noted that in the last service they did ( 2 months back)'. What did they recommend at that time? I would only assume that if they suspected a fault, they would have checked the level. Worth asking if this was done.

They said the gearbox was noisy but they have looked at averything and there is nothing wrong. The only thing they put in the report was "gearbox noisy".

If the gearbox is noisy then it would suggest it is internal. I don't know what type of warranty you have but if it is a used car (ie insurance backed not manufacturer backed) one they tend to have clauses like that. I would check your policy documents and see what is and isn't covered.

Thanks for your reply.
    This is toyota approved used car and came with a 12 months warranty from toyota. it covers gearbox but they are saying if the fault is because of wear and tear or negligence on my part then I need to pay for opening the gearbox and repairing it, otherwise they will cover it.
    the trouble is it s difficult to know what is normal wear and tear, is the gearbox not supposed to last more than 55K miles.

Hey personally i have no clue about this but in reply to shouldn't a gearbox last more than 55K i think rolebama is true with her reply being "I do not think it usual for a gearbox to fail at 55k, but unfortunately, as it was a used vehicle, you don't know how previous drivers have used/abused it."

Unhappy Corolla verso gearbox

I HAVE READ YOUR POST AND I HAVE HAD A SIMILAR PROBLEM WITH MY 18 VVT VERSO. MY CAR HAS DONE 58K AND THE GEARBOX HAS GONE.I HAVE HAD THE CAR FROM NEW AND IT HAS BEEN DEALER SERVICED.IT SEEMS THAT THIS IS THE USABLE LIFE OF THESE GEARBOXES [NOT GOOD]
    Last edited by phil b; 17-08-09 at 21:14. Reason: MISSED WORD

Default Verso Gearbox problems

Hi I seem to have a similar problem, Verso 1.8 has only done 45,000 (2005). When in 4th or 5th gear there is a continuous 'grinding' sound. Has been doing this for several 1000 miles and is getting noisier. No oil leaks.

Car owned by me from new and will be the last Toyota I ever buy....

How much do they charge to replace the G.B. ?

The car should have value of around 7k, so I guess it has to be done - but does leave a bad taste in the mouth. I always thought gearboxes normally last for ever...!, in 30 years of motoring in all kinds of cars never had one 'fail' before, even in cars that have done 5x the miles...

Maybe we're all just unlucky - maybe Toyota don't deserve the reputation they have....