Thread: Focus Cam Belt Change..??

Question Focus Cam Belt Change..??

I think Ford Focus say 100,000 Miles or 10 Years (whichever is sooner) for a Cam belt change.

Is this really safe? I have a Focus Zetec 1.6 2002 Petrol. It's done 38k and is obviously 5 Years old.

Someone told me Haynes say 37.5k for a cam belt change.....Should I get it changed?

Also, has anyone had a cam belt changed recently? How much? Did that include the tensioner or pullies or just the belt itself?

Ta,
    Chris

From the info I have I believe that interval is correct but check with your Ford dealer. I would also recommend changing all tensioners and idlers at the same time and in most cases garages will not do cambelts without changing these as well.
    As to having it done earlier this is a choice only you can make. If for instance a cambelt including idlers/tensioner is going to cost 230 (this is a guess) then offset that against failure then its worth having it done for peace of mind. My two pence worth is that I would feel happier having it done early.
    Last edited by Sussex Patrol; 12-11-07 at 21:06.

Having learnt through experience, I change cambelts complete with tensioners, idlers etc on all friends and family cars at 30,000 miles (or two years) regardless of any manufacturers claims. They all get their first change the day the vehicle warranty runs out. Overcautious maybe, but cheaper in the long run.

I contacted my local Ford dealer and was told 100,000miles.Having read so many horror stories resulting in wrecked engines I decided to change it at 63,000 miles. For my car a Zetec 1.8 Ghia Petrol W reg (2000) a KIT plus labour cost me 167.56 in April this year. Offset this against the cost of an engine and its cheap as chips!.

Thanks for the advice people.

I'm going to ring my local garage and ask them to book me in ASAP. The water pump has started to leak anyhow so it really needs looking at.