Thread: Motorway Driving

Default Motorway Driving

Is it illegal to undertake when driving quickly on the motorway?

yes it is. unless i think if the car you are undertaking is going less than 40MPH i think but am unsure.
    Last edited by tenpinn; 12-10-07 at 16:20.

check the highway code here

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAn...code/DG_069862

Do not overtake on the left or move to a lane on your left to overtake. In congested conditions, where adjacent lanes of traffic are moving at similar speeds, traffic in left-hand lanes may sometimes be moving faster than traffic to the right. In these conditions you may keep up with the traffic in your lane even if this means passing traffic in the lane to your right. Do not weave in and out of lanes to overtake.

You cant pass on the left unless your lane is moving faster in congestion or it is a feeder to a off ramp.
    So i am driving in the 1st lane @ 60 in my 7.5T or with a trailer. Ther is a car in the 2nd lane @ 50. My 7.5T can go in the 3rd lane, but it cant stop fastenough (Danger) , a trailer cant go in the 3rd lane.
    What do i do, sit in the 1st lane, sit behind them, sit behind and flash. All three of these block 2 lanes.
    Personely i pass on the left and give a good blast on the way. If ther was to be a crash this way the 5$"$% would be in the middle of it.

I am not saying what i do is right or wrong. But if thay obayed the rules this would not happen.

Exclamation

If you undertake any vehicle either on a motorway/ dual carriageway or any other road and a police officer sees you, you will be charged with driving without due care and attention or depending on speeds/conditions etc you could be charged with dangerous driving. Do you realy want the hassle. Quite simple DO NOT UNDERTAKE!!!!!

I have put this question to many Traffic Police Officers, and they have all agreed that if seen 'passing' on the nearside they would most likely prosecute the 'middle lane hogger'.

Quote Originally Posted by morris-marina View Post
    You cant pass on the left unless your lane is moving faster in congestion or it is a feeder to a off ramp.
    So i am driving in the 1st lane @ 60 in my 7.5T or with a trailer. Ther is a car in the 2nd lane @ 50. My 7.5T can go in the 3rd lane, but it cant stop fastenough (Danger) , a trailer cant go in the 3rd lane.
    What do i do, sit in the 1st lane, sit behind them, sit behind and flash. All three of these block 2 lanes.
    Personely i pass on the left and give a good blast on the way. If ther was to be a crash this way the 5$"$% would be in the middle of it.

I am not saying what i do is right or wrong. But if thay obayed the rules this would not happen.
    The only solution to this is to sit back and relax till they eventually move over, I know it's extremely frustrating , but you'll eventually arrive at your destination, a bit calmer possibly a little later but you will arrive.
    I have on occasion flashed at the driver in front and this is usually sufficient for them to realise their error but flashing constantly, tailgating, undertaking, a dollop of the horn and middle finger etc are a recipe for the red mist to descend, your attention to be diverted and thats when the inevitable happens.

Fully agree with Galaxymadbaz that is the only option it is annoying but its better than been pulled by the police for undertaking and been even later getting to where your going

Quote Originally Posted by Rolebama View Post
    I have put this question to many Traffic Police Officers, and they have all agreed that if seen 'passing' on the nearside they would most likely prosecute the 'middle lane hogger'.
    I'm with Rolebama on this.

But only if whilst undertaking, you are under the speed limit!!