Page 42 of 42 FirstFirst ... 32404142

Thread: RAC Satnav support - including Updated Maps / Safety Camera Updates

Was watching that Gadget Geeks show recently, and they were testing various sat-navs, from an expensive Tom Tom (400) to a cheaper Garmin one, and the I-Phone free sat-nav App.

The I-Phone won! Due to the fact that it gets updated all the time, by users in real time. It could even sense if you were going too slow, as it pings all available towers and sends back information to your phone. Then, when it realizes your going too slow, due to traffic problems, it finds you a quicker route!

It won every stage of the tests given out to three different teams, so I got my phone out down loaded, and installed the NavFree App, cant wait to try it out now

Talking about satnavs - Have "inherited" a RAC1000 satnav from brother in law (deceased). How do I go on internet to update this unit ?? Apparently was only purchased last year and was hardly ever used due to illness. Any web sites would be appreciated. Cheers. Montyatbarclay

Welcome to the site MB, if you mean new road updates, they have to be bought, and are only available every few years, as it takes that long to make them. If you mean new "Safety Camera" updates, they are free and can be D/Loaded for her
    http://www.66.com/support/index.php?..._detail&prod=2

Hope that helps

Thumbs up satnav probs

Quote Originally Posted by smudger View Post
    Welcome to the site MB, if you mean new road updates, they have to be bought, and are only available every few years, as it takes that long to make them. If you mean new "Safety Camera" updates, they are free and can be D/Loaded for her
    http://www.66.com/support/index.php?..._detail&prod=2

Hope that helps
    Smudger, thanks for the assist buddy, worked a treat, shouldn't get lost now ! ! ! ! Cheers. Montyatbarclay

Am I right in thinking that the traffic camera updates on the route 66 website have stopped? Tried for the first time in ?almost 2 years using the Route 66 Safety Camera Update Program, which is still on my PC, and no longer available for download from the Route 66 website. There was a brief flash on the card reader activity light and program stated 'update successful' but took about a second, with no activity in the progress bars, making me suspect that it had updated nothing. Same when repeated.
    "Updates for life" probably means the expected life of the product, the fact that I'm alive and my Satnav 220 still works fine being irrelevant, but disappointing all the same. I use it mainly for navigation in rural areas (where the out of date maps are less important) and use Googlemaps on my phone for towns/cities but like to have the Satnav 220 on when making long journeys anywhere.
    Edit/PS1: I have emailed 66.com with same question.
    Edit/PS2: Found relevant new page: http://www.66.com/rac/index.php?cid=UK Clicking on Downloads tab then 'previous products' reveals the link to download the Safety Camera Update Program. I reinstalled it in case it might have changed and tried updating again, but just the same dubious response.
    Last edited by Hector; 29-06-13 at 00:16.

I found this number on the link that you posted....."contact the RAC Sat Nav helpline on 01302 720006."

I think that's finished as well? Just a thought here, but if you have had that program on your computer for the psst 2 years, maybe it just needs to be updated, so that you can use it?

Reply from Route 66 is rather as expected:

Thank you for your email.

This is to let you know that the development of the ROUTE 66 Navigate 7 software compatible with your device was stopped several years ago and it is no longer available for update or for sale on our website.

We recommend you to contact the reseller or manufacturer of the device in order to see if alternative solutions are available for your device.

Currently we offer our customers navigation solutions for mobile devices / tablets running Symbian V3/V5, Windows Mobile and Android. Soon we will release also a navigation software for iOS.

Please visit our website or subscribe to our newsletter available on our home webpage to stay up-to-date with our latest news, or special offers and product releases.

We highly appreciate your interest in ROUTE 66 products!

Kind regards,
    ROUTE 66 Support Team

.....though it is odd that on the Route 66 website there is still a link to download the program required to access the updates! It does run Windows Mobile, so maybe it is still supported. Am still to phone the RAC Helpline and will post their answer here for the benefit of any others in the same position.
    Last edited by Hector; 01-07-13 at 23:36.

01302 720006 is now a dead line. A later number mentioned on some sites, 01302 721791 is also disconnected. Accessing www.nutool.co.uk results in immediate request for a user name and password. Seems fairly definite that there is no further support. Did also email rac@nutool.co.uk and there was no bounce back but I'll be astonished if there is even a reply, never mind anything positive.