Thread: Timing belt Xsara Picasso 1.6HDI

Default Timing belt Xsara Picasso 1.6HDI

Hi, Just bought another Pic. 94000 miles 1.6 HDI without FAP! 9 Years old, and Citroen say 150000 miles or 10 years timing belt to be replaced. Have looked on Citroen service site and replacement time is listed as 3.5 hours. Removal/Refitting looks really complicated, and involves "Uncouple fuel supply Unions.....Exhaust....Remove power steering reservoir.....support engine with trolley jack.......remove engine mounting brackets...Remove engine mounting"etc. Citroen have offer on at dealers of 295.00 inc vat (but this does not incl water pump). How does this price seem? Is it a good deal? Is this a complicated job, or should I try a local garage? Question is, will I end up paying as much or more to a local garage, or is this pretty standard proceedure to change the belt. I guess that it is lack of room that involves the 3 engine mounts being removed. Any experiance or advice....from anyone please will be much appreciated. At the moment the car drives like a new one, and I dont want to end up with a job not done correctly because it is too complicated for average back street garage. Many thanks if you have a few words to say about this, or point me in the right direction!

Typically, main dealers charge twice the rate per hour than do your local mechanic. Where I live, 3 hours labour would cost the best part of 350 (inc VAT). The garage I use would charge about 200.

It depends very much on the reputation and experience of the garages. You should be able to rely on the main dealer to do a good job, with OEM parts at the quoted price. The local, may well use substitute parts and take longer due to having to wait for parts etc.

Replacing the timing belt on this engine is really quite simple by today's standards. The price you have been quoted by the dealer is very cheap but you don't say if this includes VAT.
    I would charge around 300 including the full belt kit, water pump and antifreeze (no VAT) using a Dayco belt kit (original fit), copy water pump (good quality though).
    For peace of mind it may be worth it to have the dealer do it.

If this helps anyone.........got it back and it cost 497.00 for timing belt kit, water pump, aux drive belt and antifreeze to be fitted. Cost was fitting 210.00, rest was parts and the VAT. This also included an oil and filter change as it was a year since last service, but only 4000 miles. Be careful the ever delicate and far too thin turbo heat guard/shield fell apart when I got it back. Taken and had the new upgraded one fitted (same as on C4 Picasso). Had to buy all 3 parts of this new modified shield costing another 96.00, and the fitting, and the VAT bringing this to a total of 190.00. Drives like a dream now though without any rattles!