Thread: Ford Fiesta 08 1.6 duratec... High idling

Default Ford Fiesta 08 1.6 duratec... High idling

Hi All,

Please can someone help....
    Car was involved in front left impact , new wing , bonnet etc ...it's now Idling at about 1100 rpm... Engine management light on ... Error code p0131 ... Oxygen sensor .... They removed cooling system to repair damage ..... Noticed that the coolant has dropped down to below minimum ... No evidence of any leaks .... If you turn on air con, revs dropped down to about 800 rpm , and the fan stays on constantly ... Ford fiesta 1600 duratec engine .... Could it be faulty coolant temperature sensor...
    The Car has been back to the garage , twice ... Each time sent back saying everything ok...
    The car was working perfectly before incident ..
    The body shop say it's ok to drive, but it's running rich

Thanks in advance

Stephen

Start by checking the electrical connections to the front oxygen sensor which is positioned in the exhaust system, exactly where i couldn't tell you on this engine.

Thanks for advice , but I've tried that , in my opinion the oxygen sensor is doing it's job ... It's seeing a problem , as the engine seems to be running rich hence the high idling ...

Quote Originally Posted by Encroacher View Post
    Thanks for advice , but I've tried that , in my opinion the oxygen sensor is doing it's job ... It's seeing a problem , as the engine seems to be running rich hence the high idling ...
    If you have checked basics such as loose or detached hoses and electrical connections etc then its probably time to look at some data on a suitable diagnostic scanner.
    If for some reason the coolant temp sensor isnt seeing the correct water temperature then it could be a possible, maybe an air lock?
    What happened when you topped up the water, did it drop again?

.... It's dropping slowly , but not driving it much due to the problem, don't want to risk and further damage to the engine , I find it strange when the air con is on the rev's drop to an acceptable level about 850 rpm's as soon as it's switch on, but the rad fan is continully on... After, complaining to the bodywork shop they've agreed to take it to ford for a full report... I don't think the garage believe that it was ok before the incident. Personally I think it's something they've either damaged or disturbed whilst they were carrying out the repair.... Would an air lock cause similar problems.... The hoses to the reservoir tank get extremely hot , but the fan doesn't kick in ... Hopefully Ford will rectify and confirm it was down to the incident or repair....

Most high idle problems on these are due to air leaks, particularly the breather pipes under the inlet manifold. Worth a quick check with the torch to see they are intact and have not split or collapsed. (cost 16 from Ford dealer).
    Radiator fan constantly on probably due to a damaged wire to/from the coolant temperature sensor or faulty sensor or an air lock in the thermostat housing giving a false reading.
    Dealer should find this very quickly.

Thanks for all the advice... Ford have resolved the issue a cracked air inlet pipe 😀... Caused by the crash

Thank you for posting the answer. It may help others.