Thread: Abandoned by RAC, lone female, 10.30 at night on the A1

Default Abandoned by RAC, lone female, 10.30 at night on the A1

I am extremely disgusted to find that the RAC told my 19 year old daughter that they would not recover her from the A1 late at night. The reason..... an object had fallen onto the carriageway and damaged a number of cars, so she would have to contact her insurance company because this is an 'accident'. Really? at 10.30 at night? From the side of the A1? I prefer to be an AA member, and would expect that if my car was dripping liquid from underneath that they would certainly come and assist me. Perhaps explaining honestly to the RAC what has happened was a mistake, and that lying about the circumstances is the way to go with them if you wish to be rescued!
    Last edited by squancette; 28-07-14 at 12:13.

Thumbs down

same complaint about rock puncturing the sump of another customer on facebook,he got the same reply ACCIDENT DAMAGE not covered

Why do you think that the AA would have attended?

Section 4 of their Ts & Cs says "n No recovery (including a local tow) is available following an accident"

I hope that you can claim all your daughter's costs from the third party that caused it.
    Last edited by Santa; 31-07-14 at 11:40.

Is not a puncture an accident,unless you drive over a police stinger??

Quote Originally Posted by davesdad View Post
    Is not a puncture an accident,unless you drive over a police stinger??
    We have been here before. A puncture, caused by running over a sharp object is considered to be part of the RAC's remit. Rip the sidewall on a kerb, and it's an accident.

The lesson is that if you do rip your sidewall, and have no spare, then tell the RAC that you have a flat tyre (no lie - just not the whole truth). Then they will come out.

Sorry, but thanks to the exigencies of a certain telephone/broadband company that STILL hasn't sorted our local problems after seven months, getting on the forum is very hit and miss.

Also very hit and miss are the T&Cs and how they're interpreted by various motoring organisations. What happened was an accident, possibly with criminal implications depending on whether object was thrown from a bridge or came off an unsafe load, not a breakdown. Harsh judgement, I know, and I've been there under different and definitely criminal circumstances and had a battle because the insurers (then RAC Direct) let me down - the RAC actually rang me and sorted recovery from where I and son, having been attacked and rescued by the pollis, and subsequently dumped in the early hours on an industrial estate in Glasgow to sort out the smashed screens when the place opened five hours later.

As for losing a sidewall, on our roads with some big drop-offs after re-surfacing, even in a 4x4 (or possibly because many assume that 4x4s can just go into deep ditches at 30mph without damage) because some eejit can't reverse or doesn't know the rules and just drives at you - you try to avoid an accident injuring someone and end up injuring your wallet. Pollis have got RAC and others to come recover vehicles in this situation. Must be where you are in the country.