Thread: Hit by a horse when I was stationary

Angry Hit by a horse when I was stationary

Can anyone help me. I was driving home after dropping my wife to the hospital. When I was hit by a horse I seen the horse coming so I stopped thinking it would go around me. But it didn't it ran straight into the front of the car causing a lot of damage. There was no rider on it at the time. The problem I got is it was my friends car I was driving as mine is being repaired in the garage. So I am only third party on the vehicle. I have spoken to my insurance and they won't help so I went to a solicitor and because I have not hurt myself they won't help either. I don't know what to do.

Thanks
    Rob

On the face of it, whoever was responsible for the horse was negligent in letting it go out of control. Do you know who that was? If you do, then you can pursue them for damages.

However, I'd suggest that you do need a lawyer - it sounds as if the one you spoke to was only interested in no-win no-fee personal injury cases. You should be able to find one who will give a free initial consultation, and advise you on costs and the likely chance of success.

If the horse owner is a respectable riding school, it should have insurance for this sort of thing. On the other hand, if it's a family of travellers ....

Thanks for your response. I have the details of the owner for the horse. And the police where on scene at the time of the incident I also have 4 independent witnesses but most solicitors I speak to keep asking if I had an injury. When I tell them no they don't want to know. They have mostly said the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Beelzebub View Post
    On the face of it, whoever was responsible for the horse was negligent in letting it go out of control. Do you know who that was? If you do, then you can pursue them for damages.

However, I'd suggest that you do need a lawyer - it sounds as if the one you spoke to was only interested in no-win no-fee personal injury cases. You should be able to find one who will give a free initial consultation, and advise you on costs and the likely chance of success.

If the horse owner is a respectable riding school, it should have insurance for this sort of thing. On the other hand, if it's a family of travellers ....
    I have the details of the owner of the horse and I have 4 witnesses that seen I was stationary at the time of impact. But all the solicitors I have spoke to don't want to know as I was not injured. Just don't know what to do

Write a polite but firm letter to the owner, telling them that you're holding them responsible for the damage, and send them a copy of the estimate ASAP.

The worst that can happen is that they ignore it, but if you don't ask you won't get. If they're insured, they may simply pass it hey may simply pass it to their insurers.

If they don't play ball, you can make a claim in the County Court online for a small fee.

I agree that writing to the owner is the best course of action. I am not a lawyer, but as far as I can see, you would have to prove negligence on the part of whoever let the horse free on the highway.

Many years ago I knew of a case where a car was parked in a layby with the driver inside eating his lunch. A horse jumped over the adjacent fence and damaged his car quite badly. He failed in a claim against the stables who owned the horse, because the fence was in good repair and should have kept the horse in.

Have a look through here http://www.lawreform.ie/_fileupload/.../wpAnimals.htm
    Last edited by Santa; 23-07-14 at 15:26.

Post Thanks

Thanks to everyone who has gave me advice on this matter. I have got some legal advice from the citizens advice and they are going to help me. But they have confirmed everything that you helpful people have told me.

Thanks
    Rob

It was good for you to come back and tell us your result, as a lot of people don't bother to do that.