Thread: Bull bars in UK. Will get into trouble?

Question Bull bars in UK. Will get into trouble?

Hey guys,
    I am planning a trip to UK for about 2 weeks, to take part in Off-road event.
    I found a lot of people saying that it's gonna get me into trouble, and some said it was okay... And I ended up not knowing what to do, as I don't live in UK.

http://i.imgur.com/sRXII3R
    http://i.imgur.com/L37sazf

That is how it looks, and what I am worried about is when I will get off the ferry in UK they will tell me to go back where I came from!!!
    So guys! What is it going to be like? Will I get up to Scotland peacefully?
    Last edited by tailor; 15-07-14 at 13:20.

I found this:
    From 25th May 2007 for motor vehicles categorised as M1 (a passenger carrying vehicle not exceeding 3.5 tonnes and not more than 8 passengers) or N1 (a goods vehicle not exceeding 3.5 tonnes) it will only be legal to manufacturer and sell bull bars that comply with EU Directive 2005/66/EC.

It will be illegal to manufacture and sell bull bars that do not conform to this legislation punishable by a maximum penalty, to be imposed within the UK, of 12 months imprisonment and/or a fine of 20,000.

Operators of vehicles already fitted with these devices will not be affected
    I can not find any primary legislation that makes it illegal to have them fitted. It's not hard to find good reasons to NOT fit them though. Of course, if some official says different, you will at the very least suffer a lengthy delay.

Quote Originally Posted by Santa View Post
    I can not find any primary legislation that makes it illegal to have them fitted. It's not hard to find good reasons to NOT fit them though. Of course, if some official says different, you will at the very least suffer a lengthy delay.
    Thanks for reply. Let's see if anyone else has some knowledge about this, or maybe even owns a car with bull bars.

And another thing... do you guys see people with bull bars being pulled over by police? Because I'm not planning on buying an insurrance, all I care about is to get to Scotland for this event.

If your insurance company doesn't know you have them fitted, your insurance is invalid and you could have the car impounded and six points and a big fine plus fees. Even worse, if you were involved in an accident.... Need I say more. Don't do it.

No no no, you got everything mixed up. I had it fitted in poland, where I got all important papers for it. And so far it's legal here. I just don't know what's going to happen when I cross English border.

+ The car is insured in Poland.

If it's any help, though don't know current legislation, there's a fair few vehicles with bull bars up in Scotland - even a local cop car has them (I suspect because they do a lot of rushing around in the dark and our red deer population is vastly larger than the human one; I believe four cop cars have been written off in last six years thanks to deer collisions.

IF you get questioned about the fitting of these bars, then just say that they are legal in your part of the European Community, and you believe them to be essential in Scotland which you are visiting.