Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pls help with new car purchased on 25/6/14 from a trader.

Default Pls help with new car purchased on 25/6/14 from a trader.

Hi guys in need of some advice please.
    Bought the other half an audi 80 on the 25/6/14 from a small dealer in poole, dorset
    Paid 2750 with 3 months warranty and 12 months MOT.
    Noticed a few problems with the car on the day we bought it, steering was pulling to the left quite bad(she didn't notice on test drive)
    Liquid coming out of heater dials on dash and the front end was clunking.
    Phoned dealer about problems and was told to return the car on two occasions to get problems corrected.

Knocking seems fixed, liquid was he spilt oil he said so he cleaned it up and he got the tracking done.

Drove home and the car is still pulling quite bad to the left, this was last night, the dealer suggested that I take it to get the tracking done as they may not have adjusted it correctly.

The misses went to drive the car tonight, first time since bringing it back from poole ( first time properly in fact)and now won't start, battery is fine, electrics fine so I'm assuming it's the starter motor, tried to ring the dealer and it rang once then said answer phone so tried on the mrs phone and it rang all the way to answer phone so I think he may have blocked me, tried again just now on mrs phone and it rang once then to answer phone( he had my mrs number as I left mine at home on first trip up) now his phone is off.
    I'm stuck on what to do next, pls help, my other half is pulling her hair out.
    Many thanks.

Many of the threads below this are similar and all have the same advice. Read my post in this link as that is what you can do.
    http://www.rac.co.uk/forum/showthrea...What-can-we-do

Thank you.

Update.
    Managed to get hold of the dealer, he is adamant that we have to get the car low loaded to his premises, he also said we have to pay for a new starter motor, so all in it will cost us another 300 approx.
    After numerous txt msg exchanges he agreed to come to our house to see if it may be a fuse.

He turned up this morning had a little poke around the car, and still says that we need to bring the car to him at our cost.
    I said I will make a few calls and get in touch.
    What do I do now and do we have a chance of rejecting the car, it's been problem after problem and only bought it 2 weeks ago. Many thanks.

I think the dealer should come and get the car picked up, after all, it's his fault the car is un-drive able, as he sold to you in that condition?Have you contacted trading standards, and updated them about his visit?

No have not contacted trading standards as yet, still trying to sort for an amicable resolution.
    The dealer thinks the problem is the starter motor but says he is not liable for this in his warranty even though the car is not usable after only 8 days of purchase.
    He said he will fit the new starter free of charge but we have to get the car low loaded to him and pay for the part.
    He says he is offering to fix the car.

Please help, are we liable for a low loader bill and paying for the part, he has offered to fix but we have to get the car to him 30 miles away.

Cool

It may be worth getting an RAC engineers report now before you do anything else.

Does the dealer say what he is going to do to fix the car?

Quite frankly, If this was me I would not trust that dealer, it sounds like he is dodging the real issues.

Did he sell NEW cars?
    Last edited by Dennis W; 06-07-14 at 14:54.

Yes we will be arranging an RAC inspection early next week.
    The dealer stated that that we have to cover the cost of a starter motor and cover cost of transportation of the car back to the garage and he will not charge us for the labour.

There is a discrepancy in the miles done since purchase also( our fault for not checking odometer on purchase day)
    We have calculated we have done 130 miles approx to and from the dealer for repairs plus approx 40 miles(being generous) on pleasure, he is stating we have done 450miles since the mot he had done two days before we picked the car up, he has also had the car over night for two days for repairs, we have lost all confidence in him as a person due to this.

He sells lots of second hand cars in poole dorset through websites like eBay, gu***** etc.

In my opinion it is NOT reasonable for you to have to pay for the Starter motor. He can probably get a reconditioned one, and you may find he is putting a substantial mark-up on what he then charges to you.

How do you know that the MOT was done by a reputable garage?

Have a look at the vehicles MOT history on the governments web site.