Thread: Accident

Default Accident

Hi all
    Wanted to ask if somebody knows about insurance procedures... I was in an accidents not my fault,car value is 15k but the repairs estimate is around 8k... The thing is that I don't want this car anymore as even as if it was repaired at the dealer I wouldn't want the post accident car and would not feel safe to me anymore, my first baby is coming in 3 weeks.my question is :can I tell the third party insurer to keep the car and give me 15 k?
    Thx

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Krzywdzik View Post
    Hi all
    Wanted to ask if somebody knows about insurance procedures... I was in an accidents not my fault,car value is 15k but the repairs estimate is around 8k... The thing is that I don't want this car anymore as even as if it was repaired at the dealer I wouldn't want the post accident car and would not feel safe to me anymore, my first baby is coming in 3 weeks.my question is :can I tell the third party insurer to keep the car and give me 15 k?
    Thx

Send a claim in to your own insurance company. And then wait until they make you an offer. They may want estimates or they may send an engineer to inspect your car first.

Not sure about your question but you may find even tho the accident wasn't your fault your insurance goes up. I've had this recently but found the companies that give you option of putting a no fault accident rather than just putting an accident were cheaper. Also adding another named driver with good driving history can help. This can be anyone who has a full preferably clean licence even if they may not ever drive your car or if they only plan to drive it once. This has actually worked out well for me. When I was getting insurance quotes most were over 1000 but with my mums mates husband as second driver it was just over 800. So checked he was happy for me to add him he said it was ok even though he didn't expect to ever drive my car. It was actually him that went to pick my car up and drive it to my house for me then now I'm having to get driving refresher lessons after failing an assessment. So he is borrowing my car and on Wednesdays takes me to dog fly ball and agility with my dog. So it has worked out for the best and cheapest insurance.

With a repair cost of half the value of the car, the insurers are almost certain to write it off. When you have given them all the details they will make you an offer which is negotiable. The offer will certainly be less than you expect, but if you can find some evidence - local adverts etc - that you could have sold your car for 15,000 then you can push their offer upwards. If they send you a cheque with their first offer, do not pay it into your account unless you are happy with the offer. Paying it in means that you accept it.

Once you have dealt with the insurance and collected the cash; if you replace the car, you should talk to them about insuring the replacement. Different insurers have different ways of dealing with this.

I fully sympathise with your reasons for not wanting to drive the car again, but in the unlikely event that they do repair it, you would have to accept that and then sell it or trade it in for a replacement. Whatever happens give thanks that you and your baby are safe.

Yea! Why should the innocent driver have their premium increased is totally wrong, that has always annoyed me!In fact I'm surprised that they can get away with doing that?

At 8k for a car worth 15K they may well repair it actually.

If it is repaired it will be just as safe as the day it left the factory,so you should have no worries.

You can not force them to write it off and take the money.

Ah yes, but it's only the OP who thinks it's worth 15k.

The insurers are probably looking at 8k repairs on a 12k car!

Be nice if the OP came back and told us