Thread: emissions test failure

Unhappy emissions test failure

I have just had my branch pipe changed they said the rest of the exhaust seemed ok (on focus mk1 estate) the garage is predominantly an exhaust station and also m o t testing station ,as my mot is due i decided to have the test done at the same time,it consequently failed the emissions test, fast idle hc & co excessive on first test, lambda pass, hc & co worse on second test,lambda failed.I was told that it was burning oil, a problem i have never experienced with the car and that changing the cat might make a difference (200) failing that a diagnostic test may be worth doing (59) but may not necessarily tell the fault ,and could still be the cat or rings stuck , any suggestions ? cheers ,buzz510

What are the actual readings for the second fast idle test?

CO...................
    HC...................
    Lambda............

Default emissions failure

Quote Originally Posted by buzz510 View Post
    I have just had my branch pipe changed they said the rest of the exhaust seemed ok (on focus mk1 estate) the garage is predominantly an exhaust station and also m o t testing station ,as my mot is due i decided to have the test done at the same time,it consequently failed the emissions test, fast idle hc & co excessive on first test, lambda pass, hc & co worse on second test,lambda failed.I was told that it was burning oil, a problem i have never experienced with the car and that changing the cat might make a difference (200) failing that a diagnostic test may be worth doing (59) but may not necessarily tell the fault ,and could still be the cat or rings stuck , any suggestions ? cheers ,buzz510
    hi hometune, the readings are as follows co 8.22%
    hc 1044 ppm
    lambda 0.759
    hope this sheds some light, cheers buzz 510

With HC that high there is a serious issue. The car is burning way too much fuel or oil or both.
    To check if the piston rings are failing, undo the oil filler cap and place your hand over the hole. If there is pressure pushing your hand up then the piston rings may be worn. If the oil filler cap can be pushed off after you have unlocked it, this would indicate excessive crankcase pressure.
    Also need to check the engine breather pipes are not blocked up which can do the same thing.
    After this, it would need to go on a diagnostic tool to see what the various sensors are reading, especially the coolant temperature sensor, the oxygen sensors (lambda), airflow sensor etc.