Thread: SORN query

Default SORN query

Hi,
    My daughter brought a new car and declared her old car as SORN, as it was taken off road due to no insurance on the vehicle.
    The vehicle has 11 months MOT and
    8 months tax, which she didn't claim back, so the car is still taxed.
    She has a buyer for the car, am I right in thinking that when sells the car and the new owner registers it that will get rid of the SORN, or does my daughter have to do something too?
    Many thanks in advance

Welcome to the site HD, I think the answer is written on the V5 document, if not, have a look on the DLVA web site, they have a lot of information on there, good luck.

Cool

How much tax is left on the tax disc?

Did your daughter get an Acknowledgement from DVLA to say that SORN was accepted and recieved?

SORN is an ALTERNATIVE to having a tax disc. So, I do not think that SORN is valid in the circumstances which you outline above.
    Last edited by Dennis W; 28-06-14 at 11:46.

How did she declare it as SORN? On the Internet or what other method? I think that SORN was NOT registered by DVLA.

Thank you all, my daughter forwarded the SORN email. As she hasn't sent her valid (8mnths) tax disc back the car was never SORN. You have to have no tax or return you current tax disc to make the SORN valid.

Thanks again

How long ago did she do this? I would have thought that she would have had the standard 'no insurance' letter by now, unless it was too recent.

Who sends out the "No insurance" letters?

Under Continuous Insurance Enforcement, keepers of vehicles which appear to be uninsured are sent reminder letters. Those who take no action receive a fixed penalty notice of 100, followed by enforcement action - wheelclamping, impounding and ultimately prosecution by the courts (the maximum fine in Court is 1,000).

http://www.mib.org.uk/motor+insuranc...nt/default.htm
    Last edited by Santa; 29-06-14 at 18:14.