Thread: Claiming Liability

Default Claiming Liability

Hi Guys ,I was hoping someone on here can help me with an accident involving my car .

In 2009 I purchased an exhaust for my car through a private sale on a forum of which i am a member ,after agreeing a price for the exhaust i enquired if i could get the exhaust fitted at the garage the seller was working for i was told yes and i was booked in for the fitting of my new exhaust .I agreed to the charge of 1 1/2 hours work on my car .

I set off from Birmingham to the garage in Essex and handed my car over and was told to wait outside while they fit my new full exhaust system as the garage insurance will not let me enter the garage premises while work was done on my car .My exhaust was fitted and payment was made .The chap i purchased the exhaust from and the owner went out in my car to check if the turbos weren't overboosting so no damage would occur to my engine.
    The car never came back and was involved in a fatal collision killing the owner of the garage who was a passenger in my vehicle and also the driver of the car they hit .

My insurance will not pay me for my car as i was not the driver at the time ,the garage has since gone bust and the soliciter i was appointed has not been very helpful and i have a feeling that his not working in my interests but in the insurance companies (hsbc) which has since the accident gone out of business .

I had a meeting with the soliciter and am unhappy with the way my case is proceeding & would like to know if there's anything else i can do ?
    I have a feeling im being fobbed off

john

Who are you insured by?

Quote........."the insurance companies (hsbc) which has since the accident gone out of business ."........................... ............... ........... ...................Sorry to read about your problem, but I'm afraid to say that the legal side of things is well known for being really slow when it comes to such claims.My own personal experiences with a legal dragged on for years, so long that in fact I lost my claim, but I hope things will go better for you, good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by smudger View Post
    Quote........."the insurance companies (hsbc) which has since the accident gone out of business ."........................... ............... ........... ...................Sorry to read about your problem, but I'm afraid to say that the legal side of things is well known for being really slow when it comes to such claims.My own personal experiences with a legal dragged on for years, so long that in fact I lost my claim, but I hope things will go better for you, good luck.
    HSBC does not help as they just lend their brand name to front for BISL aka the dreaded Budget who are a broker, it would be helpful to know who the actual Insurers are as some include cover whilst the vehicle is in the custody of a motor trader

Maybe it's time to get the insurance ombudsman involved http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.u...complaints.htm

The only other alternative seems to be to get a better solicitor. Surely, HSBC has some liability, even if the original insure has ceased trading. There were two deaths - Did anyone pay out for that?

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyfaith View Post
    Hi Guys ,I was hoping someone on here can help me with an accident involving my car .

In 2009 I purchased an exhaust for my car through a private sale on a forum of which i am a member ,after agreeing a price for the exhaust i enquired if i could get the exhaust fitted at the garage the seller was working for i was told yes and i was booked in for the fitting of my new exhaust .I agreed to the charge of 1 1/2 hours work on my car .

I set off from Birmingham to the garage in Essex and handed my car over and was told to wait outside while they fit my new full exhaust system as the garage insurance will not let me enter the garage premises while work was done on my car .My exhaust was fitted and payment was made .The chap i purchased the exhaust from and the owner went out in my car to check if the turbos weren't overboosting so no damage would occur to my engine.
    The car never came back and was involved in a fatal collision killing the owner of the garage who was a passenger in my vehicle and also the driver of the car they hit .

My insurance will not pay me for my car as i was not the driver at the time ,the garage has since gone bust and the soliciter i was appointed has not been very helpful and i have a feeling that his not working in my interests but in the insurance companies (hsbc) which has since the accident gone out of business .

I had a meeting with the soliciter and am unhappy with the way my case is proceeding & would like to know if there's anything else i can do ?
    I have a feeling im being fobbed off

john
    Can you make a claim against the person who was driving your car at the time? Did the Police speak to you after the accident?

How much was your car worth? and what happened to the car after the accident?
    Last edited by Dennis W; 18-06-14 at 15:29.

Perhaps I'm being thick, but why would the solicitor be working in the interest of the insurer who has gone bust? How would he expect to get paid?

Quote Originally Posted by Santa View Post
    Maybe it's time to get the insurance ombudsman involved http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.u...complaints.htm

The only other alternative seems to be to get a better solicitor. Surely, HSBC has some liability, even if the original insure has ceased trading. There were two deaths - Did anyone pay out for that?
    Thanks for the link i'll go through it now .
    I've been to a few solicitors here in Birmingham who have advised me that the case can drag and drag & can end up costing me a fortune .My insurance company & the Garage insurance jointly paid out to the family of the person who died in the car they (Garage)hit .

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis W View Post
    Can you make a claim against the person who was driving your car at the time? Did the Police speak to you after the accident?

How much was your car worth? and what happened to the car after the accident?
    Hi Dennis W, The person who was driving my car was using the garage's insurance & the garages insurance are saying that the work on my car was done by him privately (which is a lie) as i purchased the exhaust off him and not the garage (which is true) but the work was done by the garage as i still have my E-mails to prove this regarding booking the car in (labour charge per hour) .
    I purchased the car for 25,000 .
    I received a phone call about a year after the accident to pick the car up from storage & pay all the storage fees which i did as they where charging me daily for storage .The car was a total wreck & was scrapped .

I will ring the financial ombudsman tomorrow as well as my solicitor and reply with an update .
    Thanks to all for replying very much appreciated .cheers