Thread: someone hit my stationery car

Default someone hit my stationery car

I have heard that insurance companies stack your premiums up after you make a claim . I have my no claims protected.would I be safe to make a claim for a new wing and bumper for a smash and run that was done to my car?

Firstly - are you claiming off the other driver, or is it hit-and-run?
    Secondly - how big is your excess, in comparison to the cost of the repair.

If you have details of the other driver, you should certainly make a claim through your insurance. This claim would include any costs relating, like your excess and possibly a hire car.

If you do not have the other driver's details then you have to weigh up what the cost of the repair is in relation to your excess. For example: If the repair will cost 500 and your excess is 500, there is simply no point in making a claim. If the repair is 750, you would have to decide whether any potential increase in premiums would be worth the 250 you would actually be paid.

The main problem with making a claim like this, is that when you shop around for next year's insurance, you will have to declare it - even though it is no fault of yours. The insurance companies claim that if you have parked your car in a place where it gets damaged, then you are likely to do it again....

Default was it a hit and run?

Yes. They didn't leave a message on my screen. Thanks for the advice. I'm going to patch it up my self because although I have a low excess I feel that insurance companies will put up my insurance for the next five years. I did report it to the police though just in case they have done more damage to the wheel.

Why do you have a low excess? It's my opinion that the excess should be high as it reduces the premium. As you have decided - it is not worth claiming for damage to your own car unless you can get it from a 3rd party. If you have a 500 excess, then put 500 into an ISA or somewhere you won't spend it. Better it should earn you some paltry interest than the premiums should go to an insurance company.