Thread: Reversing accident

Default Reversing accident

I was driving down a one way street, and came upon a parking space, there was a line of cars behind, I indicated and stopped checked mirrors and behind me to see it was clear to make the manoeuvre, I selected reverse and checked once more, started reversing and clipped the car behind with my OSR damaging my bumper slightly, I got out to check the damage and only my car had the bumper damage, with only a small paint splash on the car behind front bumper, that instantly wiped off with no other visible damage at all.
    Who is to blame, my insurance says me but I think the driver behind should have left enough room, they did say along with an independent witness statement that I did everything correctly.
    This is my first ever accident, in 38 years, and my car was repaired within an hour of it happening due to the bumper dent just popping back out, and needing a small touch up paint job from a small bottle.
    The police checked the CCTV but the camera was not quite on the area, so they said 50 50.
    My insurance has said they have no option but to settle the claim, but how can they settle a claim to the TP if there is no damage or injury.
    I have full NCB that's protected, will this affect my NCB???
    Last edited by Helpmybob; 15-06-14 at 23:26.

First the good news: your NCB is safe.

However, your insurer will almost certainly increase your premium because of the claim.

I think 50-50 is a good result for you, as the witnesses are wrong. You should have engaged reverse as soon as you stopped, thus signalling your intentions in good time: the driver behind might then have left more room. It also seems that you didn't see the vehicle you hit, which suggests you were relying on your mirrors instead of looking behind.

I am at a bit of a loss here - if there was no damage to the other car, why did they, or you, make a claim? Since the insurance companies are involved, Beelzebub is correct.

I informed my insurance as per the law, but I cannot fathom out why they are claiming when the police said they had no damage

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Helpmybob View Post
    I informed my insurance as per the law, but I cannot fathom out why they are claiming when the police said they had no damage
    How were the Police involved? Did they just happen to be passing at the time?

There may have been no visible damage, but some structural deformation underneath. The police are not qualified to comment. There might at least be some costs in removing the bumper to ascertain this.

In the worst case, the driver may have four friends who claim whiplash injuries!

A member of the public called the police, the driver asked what happens now I said I dont know
    I have recived a diagram sent in by an aleged witness who was parked about 40 meters away, that states I did everything right, but they could not be sure if the TP moved forward slightly
    I have photoes but cannot post them on here??? it was an old ford focus that had seen better days bodywise, ie rusting wheel arches and other bits and bumps and scrapes