Thread: Hit a car - Insurance Help

Default Hit a car - Insurance Help

Sorry for the long story. I hit a parked car (not that bad driver) in a very quiet residential area on saturday. Slight scratches to the car I hit. The car I hit is only 2 months old and I didn't have mind to drive away without stopping. I stopped my car and knocked some of the doors to check whether it is their car. Since I couldn't find the owner, took few photos of the scratched area and left a note with my mobile number in their windscreen. I got a call 2 hours later from the owner. Since I lived only 4 streets away, I went and met the owner in his house. I have agreed to pay the amount without giving my car and insurance details. The car owner told me that he is going to take the car on Monday to Honda showroom and fix the car and hand me the bill which I am happy to pay for as it was my mistake.

On Monday, he slightly changed his mind and called his insurance company and told them that the car met with an accident and asked help to fix it and gave my no as well. The insurance company called my no and asked my car reg. no but I didn't give them as I agreed with the owner and told them that I am happy to pay the bill for which they replied "It is going to be a lot". I questioned them how can you say it is going to be a lot without even looking at it for which they did not respond positively. The car owner is going to the accident repair centre (Balgores accident repair centre, romford) tomorrow. Now I am confused with the following questions

A) The car had only slight scratches. If it had been taken to local garage or even Honda showroom, I would have expected it to be around 100 or 150 (max). Now it is going through insurance procedures, is it going to be too much?
    B) What if the accident repair centre give me a huge bill for something that is not worth that much? Can I fight against?
    C) Can I go with car owner tomorrow to get a quote. WIll my presence in the accident centre help?
    D) If it is too much, I may have to give my insurance details for payment. How it is going to affect my NCB? I have 2 years NCB.

Your help will be appreciated. Thanks Gurus...

After an accident you MUST by law provide your name, address and reg. number (but not necessarily your insurance details) to anyone with a valid reason, i.e. the other car owner/driver and his insurance company. If you mess his insurers around by not providing those details they will probably report you to the police, and you may be prosecuted. You would appear to have no defence, and would face a fine and 5-10 points.

If you do not tell your insurers then (1) you will probably be facing a large bill and (2) you will be in breach of your contract with them. This could have nasty consequences when they find out.

Trying to deal with these things without involving your insurer is seldom a good idea, for many reasons. By your account it was a minor bump, and you can provide photos of the actual damage. The insurers will have lots of experience of fighting inflated claims, and are much more likely to succeed than you.

Welcome to the site R, as already mentioned, it's never a good idea to try and bypass your insurance company. You only have to read through these forums to see some right horror stories where it had all gone wrong, leaving the person concerned well out of pocket.It might mean a rise in your next renewal date, but that cost will well worth it, compared to what you might have to pay by going it alone, good luck with it.

The 'slight scratches' on a two month old car, will certainly cost a lot more than you expect. The bill will definately be several hundred pounds. You have no alternative but to give your insurers all the details.

As an aside, in case you are concerned, you do not have to pay your excess for damage to a third party - only for damage to your car.

As above.
    You must provide your name,address and vehicle details.

From that they can obtain your insurance details from the mib.

Now for the clear bit.........

There is absolutely no way this car can be repaired for 100/150.
    I can say that without even looking at it.

Labour charges are around 45 an hour upwards at garages now.
    The paint alone will cost 100 upwards, then there are other materials.

A simple repaint of one panel and blend into another will cost 500 plus.

Do not be surprised if this bill goes over 1000.

Quote Originally Posted by Rajinikanth View Post
    A) The car had only slight scratches. If it had been taken to local garage or even Honda showroom, I would have expected it to be around 100 or 150 (max). Now it is going through insurance procedures, is it going to be too much?
    B) What if the accident repair centre give me a huge bill for something that is not worth that much? Can I fight against?
    C) Can I go with car owner tomorrow to get a quote. WIll my presence in the accident centre help?
    D) If it is too much, I may have to give my insurance details for payment. How it is going to affect my NCB? I have 2 years NCB.

Your help will be appreciated. Thanks Gurus...
    Answers

A)No it would always have been over 150

B)No not really.Can you show they failed to keep costs down?

C)No

D)You will lose the ncb totally.So you will drop to none. You have to declae the incident anyway for the next 5 years. It may put your policy price up,it may not.

However I have to say good on you for stopping. You did the right thing. :-)