Thread: First 2 Hour Lesson

Default First 2 Hour Lesson

Hello Users,

I had my first lesson last week, My instructor said i did really well but im finding it hard to drive, check mirrors, indicate and look at the road in sequence, is this normal? or am i thick? also he took me on a council estate with sharp turns i dont know how far to steer the wheel on turns i just kept spinning it to full lock to get round the corners should i have been on a car park and im being rushed or is this normal. When i have watched people steer corners when walking i notice they steer the wheel half way.

Thanks

DJ

Believe your instructor. Learning to drive can be very challenging and what you have described is, to the best of my knowledge, quite normal. You need time.

Welcome to the site DJ, it's a lot to take in at first, but if you have already got "road driving"experience, like riding a scooter or motor bike, you will already have gained a lot of road sense.Where as, if this is your first driving experience, you will have to learn all that, as well as how to drive,if you get what I mean, good luck.

Thanks guys my next lesson is wednesday i am going to tell my instructor that my steering is my main concern as i have practically nailed clutch braking and starting etc i need to sort my steering out then i can move on to concentrating on indicators and mirrors take it 1 thing at a time then hopefully be able to do them when needed i will keep you posted and let you know how i get one...

If you have a good instructor he will listen to you and respond to your needs. Hope all goes well on Wednesday. People on this site will offer the support and help they can.

Lesson 2 steering is great now not perfect but good enough as i was driving round main roads for a hour and a half and also drove home, loved it cant wait for next weeks lesson.

Well done, it's just like what was mentioned before, where the more practise you have, the better you get at it, good luck.

The human brain is an amazing thing. When you first try to do something really complicated like drive a car, it all seems too much, but after a while a lot of it becomes automatic. You decide to change gear, and your brain just does all the things like operating the pedals and moving the lever, without any concious thought. The same goes for steering around obstacles.

In fact, one of the most complicated things we do, without even thinking about it, is walking, and you probably learned to do that pretty young. By comparison, driving a car is a piece of cake.