Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: untaxed and no mot

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis W View Post
    Are You absolutely sure of that piece of detail?

Were do the regulations permit that, please?
    Sigh -

Dennis, I refer you to #2. You can click the link to the Government website if you like, but I have quoted the relevant section.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Santa View Post
    Sigh -

Dennis, I refer you to #2. You can click the link to the Government website if you like, but I have quoted the relevant section.

There are TWO separate requirements. A) MOT valid certificate

B) Valid Road Tax for the current date.

As far as I can see the MOT government information which you have quoted makes NO mention about the TAX, only the specific question of IF the MOT has expired. I believe you are mistaken to speculate that you can drive to an MOT test IF your tax disc has expired.

Quote Originally Posted by Santa View Post
    As I have said twice already, a car being taken to an appointment for an MOT is exempt from needing Road Tax, or more correctly Vehicle Excise Duty.

NO. I believe you are wrong to say that.

I think that I have to admit defeat on this one. I have trawled the net and found many references confirming it. like this one: "
    The Statute
    s.29(1) of the 1994 Act provides:

"If a person uses or keeps on a public road a vehicle not being an exempt vehicle which is unlicensed he is guilty of an offence."

An exempt vehicle, for these purposes, is defined by para.22 of sch.2 of the 1994 Act. That reads:

"A vehicle is an exempt vehicle when it is being used solely for the purpose of -

(a)submitting it (by previous arrangement for a specified date) for a compulsory test, or

(b)bringing it away from a compulsory test."

This and similar quotes appear right up to last year, but when I go to http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1994/22/contents and look through the detail, I cant find those words anywhere. The act was much amended to take account of SORN, and continuous registration/insurance and it looks as if the concession has been removed.

So it looks as if driving on the road without a tax disc is not now allowed under any circumstances other than when you have applied online and are waiting for the disc.