Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Scottish Independence.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesy_par View Post
    Watched BBC breakfast news yesterday and the reporter was on the Isle of Skye. 2 pairs of residents wanted the YES vote to promote their businesses. The 3rd pair of residents who were running a tearoom and gallery said they wanted a NO vote. They were English......so how do they get a vote?
    Interesting question. I suppose it's because they are residents in Scotland, so must be on the electoral register there. As British citizens, and domiciled within the UK, until, and if, Scottish independence is formally declared, they will have the same voting rights as any other British citizen who is domiciled in Scotland.
    After Independence, who knows how or where non-Scottish residents in Scotland will stand regarding voting rights? Another puzzle that Alec Salmon and the SNP seem to have glossed over. If the agenda of the SNP is anything like that of the BNP, is there a risk that things might get nasty?

Aye! A lot of folk go on about the amount of Non Scots living here in Scotland, yet everywhere I have been, (and that's a lot of places). I've always met fellow Scots, and I have always been pleased to meet them.

I did remark, on our last holiday in Scotland a few years ago, on how rare it was to be served by a Scottish person in shops, restaurants and garages. At the same time, there seemed to be large numbers of unemployed white youths hanging around by the unemployment offices in Oban.

Aye! I know what you mean, but I had better not post my opinion on that matter, as I would probably get banned from the site! .......winking smiley.

Santa, my son is one of the unemployed though definitely not hanging round Oban jobcentre - what makes me sick is that I couldn't look after my mum without him, despite the max care package. And he gets nowt from the state and nor do I except my pensions private and national that I paid into all my working life.

That aside, I'm London born of a Scots Dad and English Mum. I love Scotland and feel that it has always been home, and it was something incredibly special for us (Mum, Dad, son and self) to move into our Scottish home 12 years ago - needed a lot of money spent on it, true, but it was perfect for our needs and it meant that Mum and Dad could move in on a special wedding anniversary for them - Mum loved Scotland too and but for WW2 and subsequent job and family issues, I'd have been brought up here.

There has always been some major differences (prior to Holyrood), notably the legal and education systems. My preference would have been devo-max. Had that option been included in the referendum, I suspect that many would have gone for that option - which would have, given the will of those south of the border, allowed those areas of England who feel overwhelmed by London and the saff east, the chance to really air their own grievances.

What we have now is a series of fluffs and no certainties. It has been completely mishandled and caused divisions that will take lifetimes to heal.

That is tragic.

Lightbulb Iíll be voting Yes on 18th of September

Iíll be voting Yes on 18th of September for a whole number of reasons all of which I think are positive.

Voting Yes I believe will make Scotland a stronger economy with investments in different places.

Diversity is the key to withstanding troubled times, itís not clever putting all your eggs in the one basket and thatís what seems to happening under the current Westminster system. Much smarter to invest your eggs all over.

The more Iíve looked into the Independence debate the more I dislike the media, the national press, television bias. They are more like propaganda machines than informative media.

The saving grace these days is the internet, it connect people to so much data that itís too easy to catch out the politicians half-truths, bending the facts to suit there agendaís.

A great website I have found which is for a Yes vote but tells it like it should be told is http://wingsoverscotland.com/

They push out articles daily that show the press and media up for what they are.

Also they have just published an in-depth book with references to the UK government own websites to makes the case why the Yes vote is the best option. Takes 90 minutes to read but it gives a very clear view of the situation
    http://wingsoverscotland.com/weebluebook/

I think a Yes vote will give Westminster a reality check and maybe they will start to think about the bigger picture and not just the South East.

Best wishes, DD

Default Iíll be voting Yes on 18th of September

Server took it's time updating thread.

I can understand your mistrust of the media, DundeeDancer. They will have differing views, in just the same way that individual Scottish people may vote 'in', 'out' or 'don't know'. I am English (British citizen) and even I don't trust our government all the way. The UK is already divided over "in or out of the EU", and the media and politicians are creating a confused web around it.
    But, whether it is the media, or the various politicians, or the wingsoverscotland.com website, there will be motive and agenda from all who are speaking out. As with the EU dispute, a vote in either direction will produce winners and losers. My own view is that the decision must be the one which favours the ordinary working folk - not the politicians and the wealthy.
    Westminster seems to have decided that an independent Scotland cannot keep the GBP, and there have been rumblings from the EU that Scotland are unlikely to be allowed in as an individual member state. That should be worrying for the Scottish people, and needs to be addressed before any vote is taken. I assume that an independent Scotland would still be considered as part of the Commonwealth, although I could imagine certain spiteful factions trying to prevent that.
    All I can say is that I hope, whatever the outcome, it is the right one for Scotland.

I suspect that unlike the poster from Dundee (Did they rebuild that bridge yet?) many people will vote yes simply to spite the English. At an individual level I have never had anything less than a great welcome North of the border (well there was that time in Glasgow back in the 60s) but from the football terraces we do see a popular trend against anything English. Of course we are totally to blame for the decline in Scottish industry, fishing and coal mining, and we stole all the oil, so they think that they have good cause.

The Scots petitioned Parliament to create the union because they were broke, but it took a century before the English Parliament agreed. Much as I resent the [fact] that the Scots get too much of my tax, and dislike them when they have consumed too much of the home product (I worked in a London pub for a while), I would be sorry to see the dissolution of a successful partnership that has worked pretty well for the last 400 years.

Thumbs up

Snowball: thanks for your post. It appears to me over this debate that the media and press are puppet slaves for the Westminster government (more than likely to do with whoís bankrolling who).

Iíve found it to be clear after a bit of digging on the web that if there was a Yes vote that every scare tactic that the ďBetter TogetherĒ campaign are currently using will just evaporate as people will get down to the real negations and cash is king.

Take currency for example. There will be a currency union because no way are Westminster going to let the Scottish Government walk away from paying their share of the national debt which is roughly calculated as £180 billion pounds out of the £1,300 billion pounds debt the UK treasury is currently running with. Not only that take away Scotland from the currency union and it just adds a little more instability to the GBP pound, the international money lenders wonít like it which would force interest rates up and when youíre sitting on a £1,300 billion pound debt another percentage point up makes for a big effect similar to the last banking crisis. So there would be a currency union, I guess one with very little Scottish influence over it but a little influence is better than none which we appear to have now.

EU membership is another red herring to. Everyone in Scotland like England already have EU citizenship and independence wonít take that away. So if Scotland became a basket case then we would all just up sticks and move south to Newcastle or Barcelona or Dublin for more rain.

As soon as a yes vote comes in then EU negotiations would start and Scotland would sign up as an independent state to the EU treaties and that would be that. The contribution to be made by Scottish taxpayers to the EU budget over 2014-20 will be around £8.5 billion, I canít see the EU walking away from that little gold bucket either.

Like Billy Connelly says ďScotland will get what it deservesĒ, I have faith that will be a positive thing.

Santa: Thanks for airing your concerns. I know over 450 people on Facebook and have met more than triple that number through my job as an IT consultant and as a social jive dancer all around the UK; especially in the cities: Cambridge, Milton Keynes, Newcastle, London, Brighton, Sheffield, Leeds, Manchester to name but a handful and my experience is that only 1 or 2 out of 1,500 or so have a serious chip on their shoulder with the subject of Scottish to English rivalry and out of those 2 both of them arenít very nice about anything or anyone and nobody likes. So I believe 99.86% of the Scottish voters will vote for their own self-interest rather than out of spite of the English but believe it or not us Scots think the majority of you English are great fun to be around which is just as well as we live on the same lump of land. This isnít the picture the press like to spread around (stories about friendship probably doesnít turn the same amunt of profits as negative news.)

Resenting the Scots for using up your taxes just isnít correct, we pay much more into the UK treasury than we take out and thatís what the governmentís own GERS figures say. Imagine what the truth is like! Here is a video link if you want to find out a bit more. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1W8cKHcZn60

Hereís to a Great Britain with a strong Scotland and strong England who are both successfully in their own different ways but always helpful to each other at the same time.

Best wishes, DD