Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Scottish Independence.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis W View Post
    However, Ireland is a separate country from the UK but one doesn't need a Passport to travel from Wales to Ireland.
    The question of whether or not a passport would be needed is not the issue, Dennis. We are talking about risks to the future of Scotland, and possibly the UK. As Hometune says, "What a mess!"
    Many ordinary folk can see this "mess" in the making, so why are the likes of Alec salmon pursuing this cause for independence?
    I get the impression that salmon is banking on two factors - oil revenue and the fishing industry. But oil and gas reserves are a very tenuous commodity, and will not last indefinitely. And when exploration is far out into the North Sea, Scotland will not have a legal territory to claim for such oil/gas fields. As for the fishing grounds, Scotland could face a very limited catchment area if boundary lines were drawn from points extending east and west of the border with England. All supposition I'll admit, but its amazing how even powerful politicians will behave like spiteful, spoilt little children in order to get their own way.
    When it comes down to it, is the anticipated prize for independence (which could well be a booby prize) really worth Scotland battling to separate itself from the UK?

Another point about all this, what is the view amongst the Yes voters, about immigration? Scotland is now full to bursting, and yon bloke Salmond wants even more of them?I've read that Norway, Finland and a few other smaller countries, have controlled their immigration problems, but Britain seems to have kept the flood gates open?There is quite a lot of bad feelings here in Fife, on the job front, where a lot of younger folk who are desperate for a job, can't get one, as lot of the companies tend to employ folk from Easter Europe, as they will work for less that the minimum wage?

Quote Originally Posted by smudger View Post
    Another point about all this, what is the view amongst the Yes voters, about immigration? Scotland is now full to bursting, and yon bloke Salmond wants even more of them?I've read that Norway, Finland and a few other smaller countries, have controlled their immigration problems, but Britain seems to have kept the flood gates open?There is quite a lot of bad feelings here in Fife, on the job front, where a lot of younger folk who are desperate for a job, can't get one, as lot of the companies tend to employ folk from Easter Europe, as they will work for less that the minimum wage?
    The reasoning of politicians puzzles me too, smudger. We have just returned from a caravanning holiday in France. On the way out, and along with other outfits, at passport control I was required to accompany a border official whilst he checked our caravan (for stowaways?) and was asked a few questions about what we were carrying in the van. Car and caravan were subjected to an under-floor inspection mirror check.
    On the way back into the UK, a quick passport examination by the guy sitting in the booth, and a wave through. Says it all, doesn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Snowball View Post
    The reasoning of politicians puzzles me too, smudger. We have just returned from a caravanning holiday in France. On the way out, and along with other outfits, at passport control I was required to accompany a border official whilst he checked our caravan (for stowaways?) and was asked a few questions about what we were carrying in the van. Car and caravan were subjected to an under-floor inspection mirror check.
    On the way back into the UK, a quick passport examination by the guy sitting in the booth, and a wave through. Says it all, doesn't it?
    May be cooperation. After all, there is no need to check at both ends is there. But who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by Santa View Post
    May be cooperation. After all, there is no need to check at both ends is there. But who knows?
    I think you may have misunderstood me, Santa. It wasn't a case of checking at both ends. Going out of the UK to France, the border control check was thorough. Caravan checked internally, and car and caravan mirror-searched underneath. And it was by a team of several officers. When they apologised for the delay, they seemed pleased when I congratulated them on their thoroughness.
    Coming back into the UK, a quick passport check by man in booth, and waved through. My comments on the lax attitude to incoming travellers was greeted with a sarcastic remark that I may be lucky further on - he meant a single guy standing at a "Y"-junction; waving to go right for carrying on, or left to go into the search sheds.

Aye! It's a sad fact of modern life, when I was a kid at school, the word " terrorist" didn't exist, neither did "cost effectiveness" or the word, unemployment?We thought the word, "racist" was some kind if race, that you could enter?Now we suffer with, political correctness, human rights and health and safety,......Oh! God, I'm depressed now, stop the world, I want to get off......winking smiley!

OK, we didn't have terrorists, but we did have 'anarchists' which were pretty much the same thing. The IRA has been a feature of most of my adult life.

'Racists' became significant back in the 60s when I can remember seeing that sign on the door of digs - No blacks, No Irish, No dogs.

And I think that the 'unemployed' who walked the route from Jarrow to London in 1936 (before my time) could tell us all a thing or two about hardship.

Most of the things that are ridiculed as PC are not all that bad. Do we want to see women paid less than men for the same work; how about employers sacking people on the spot with no comeback? Maybe we should take the babies away from unmarried mothers, and people who are part of the 'establishment' like Harris and Saville, should get away with it.

The rise of the PC brigade has certainly provided a lot of jobs for certain groups of the 'Political Police'. I spent my life in the engineering industry, and there were loads of sayings that would now get you into trouble for using them. We have a relative who works in a government department, and there are rules about what objects cannot be placed on desks, or how fellow employees can be addressed. Reporting anyone for flouting the rules is encouraged - an innocent quip or banter in the wrong place could mean losing one's job.
    Different to the multi-cultural shop floor of our work place. Workers of various races would exchange banter that the PC brigade would be horrified to hear; but those same workers would be the first to spring to the defence of the subjects of their banter. Agreed, some nastiness has been curtailed, but all people of different cultures have paid a price in losing the freedom of innocent racial humour.
    Whether this is a good or a bad thing is really down to the view of the individual, and that may be governed to some degree by that individual's own personal experiences. However, I do believe that the agenda of the PC brigade differs greatly from what ordinary people of all cultures expected of the laws that developed.

Back in the 1960s, my cousin was trying to find digs in either Bristol or Derby, He phoned up and was negotiating a room. The Landlady asked him whether he was black to which he replied in a West Indian accent "No maam, I sure aint" and hung up on her.

Snowball, I hear what you are saying, but my meaning was, that the whole P/C, Health & Safety and Human Rights thing, can, and has, in some cases gone too far.I always get angry when I see that happening, as a lot of brave people have gave their lives in two world wars, to defend our rights to free speech, and I personally take that to heart, when. I see that being denied?