Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Scottish Independence.

Just returned from a caravanning holiday in France. whilst over there, we met up with an adjacent Scottish couple who had sold their business and retired early. The fellow told me that, were he still in business and a "YES" vote was carried through, he would be worried about the effects on the business.
    Can't see why J K Rowling should wish to donate £1 million pounds to the "NO" lobby - she's so well-heeled that any result is unlikely to affect her.

Watched BBC breakfast news yesterday and the reporter was on the Isle of Skye. 2 pairs of residents wanted the YES vote to promote their businesses. The 3rd pair of residents who were running a tearoom and gallery said they wanted a NO vote. They were English......so how do they get a vote?

They get a vote because they're resident in Scotland and are on the electoral register. It would be very wrong if they didn't.

On the other hand, I and many millions of other Scots who live elsewhere don't get a vote, but that's a different question ...

Quote Originally Posted by Hometune View Post
    Watched BBC breakfast news yesterday and the reporter was on the Isle of Skye. 2 pairs of residents wanted the YES vote to promote their businesses. The 3rd pair of residents who were running a tearoom and gallery said they wanted a NO vote. They were English......so how do they get a vote?
    Of course they were the only people the BBC interviewed and there was no editing or selection involved.

Typical of the BBC - to show what they think is relevant or of interest. From a business point of view, the only "apparent" facts that have been mentioned at any time are that, if Scotland goes independent, they will not be able to use the £sterling (Cameron), and that they are unlikely to be able to join the EU currency (some spokesperson in the EU). The latter is understandable when one considers the Greek and Spanish economic problems - they don't want the risk of a third crippled economy in the system. Then there is the question of banks. Does Scotland have sufficient back up of funding by their own banks, and would the UK banks boycott any support for Scottish businesses.
    I think these were the main considerations by the retired business couple who I referred to in post #11.
    Much of what is said or thought at present is generally conjecture or political posturing, but the Scottish people are the ones who will bear the consequences if Alec Salmon and his followers end up getting it all wrong.
    On paper, it would seem that Scotland would only be separating itself to be independent from the UK, but in the world of global politics (and the associated treachery between the politicians of various "civilised" countries), who knows what disadvantages would be heaped upon Scotland, and for whatever reasons?

All the politicians who are banging on about the Yes vote, yet not one of them has said how they are going to pay for all these so called Good things that are supposed to happen, if they win?

Quote Originally Posted by Beelzebub View Post
    They get a vote because they're resident in Scotland and are on the electoral register. It would be very wrong if they didn't.

On the other hand, I and many millions of other Scots who live elsewhere don't get a vote, but that's a different question ...
    Its a strange situation where a couple from England who may have 'lived' there for just a year running their tearoom can vote but you and me cannot. And so far I have traced my ancestry back to the early 1700s and not an English person anywhere, but I don't have a vote. Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by smudger View Post
    All the politicians who are banging on about the Yes vote, yet not one of them has said how they are going to pay for all these so called Good things that are supposed to happen, if they win?
    Exactly so, smudger. But the agenda of those pressing for the YES vote, whilst probably being a "good thing" for their own personal situation, may have no bearing upon whether it is a success or a tragic failure for the Scots in general.
    And I still maintain that, with all the intricacies of an economic infrastructure, the majority of the Scottish people are not really qualified to make an informed decision on which way to vote. This problem is further worsened by the contradictory propaganda being thrust at them via the media; and Cameron's preachings do not help - since his opinions for a NO vote are biased solely on his own motives for keeping Scotland as part of the UK.
    Which ever way the vote goes, I personally hope it transpires to be the correct one - no doubt there are those on both sides of Hadrian's wall who would like to see a Scottish economic melt-down - a selfish attitude when the lives of so many people could be permanently ruined.

One thing that seems to be forgotten is the 'possible' Euro exit if the politicians actually keep their word and allow a referendum on it.
    So, if Scotland opts to say YES and leaves the UK then they are going to try to stay in Europe. But the possibility is that England and Wales will vote to get out of Europe and if that did happen then border crossings and all that jazz would need to be set up and paid for.
    If Scotland say NO then they may be forced to leave the European Union anyway? What a mess.

However, Ireland is a separate country from the UK but one doesn't need a Passport to travel from Wales to Ireland.