Thread: Scottish Independence.

Hybrid View

Default Scottish Independence.

If the Scottish referendum should get a majority "Yes" vote, and Scotland went independent, would that part of the Union Jack which represents the cross of St Andrew be removed from the flag?
    Would there be border controls requiring the producing of a valid passport in order to cross between England and Scotland?
    Just an idle thought!!!

The consensus seems to be Yes and No.

Well, it would no longer be the "United" kingdom so I suppose the blue bit has to come out. If there is a Yes vote then technically border crossing comes into being. I suppose much depends on whether Scotland is granted EU status or not.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Snowball View Post
    If the Scottish referendum should get a majority "Yes" vote, and Scotland went independent, would that part of the Union Jack which represents the cross of St Andrew be removed from the flag?
    Would there be border controls requiring the producing of a valid passport in order to cross between England and Scotland?
    Just an idle thought!!!
    We do not need a passport to get from the UK into Southern Ireland do we? A driving licence is sufficient.

While it might be logical to change the flag, it would be a very expensive and totally pointless exercise to do so.

So far as the border is concerned, one would hope that civilisation and common sense would prevail - Dennis W draws a useful parallel with the Irish Republic.

Quote Originally Posted by Beelzebub View Post
    While it might be logical to change the flag, it would be a very expensive and totally pointless exercise to do so.

So far as the border is concerned, one would hope that civilisation and common sense would prevail - Dennis W draws a useful parallel with the Irish Republic.
    Whilst agreeing with your view, Beelzebub, I have no confidence in common sense where governments are concerned, particularly if there are 'sour grapes' in the equation.

The thing that worries me is, how are we going to pay for all these commitments, that yon bloke Salmond is always going on about?

That, smudger, is the problem for ordinary folk. These politicians have agendas that take no account of how their pipe dreams affect Joe Public. Even more worrying is the question of how many potential voters really have any true perspective of just what they are voting for, or how their decisions would affect their daily lives and/or financial security.
    In addition to this, nobody seems to have a clear idea of what "sanctions" may be imposed against a "YES" vote if it was then implemented.
    Anything from sour grapes by an English government to non-recognition by the EU, and everything nasty in between. I may be English, but I do have Scottish friends and am concerned for their future welfare in the event of separation from to UK.