Thread: Claiming for whiplash

Hybrid View

Default Claiming for whiplash

My Partner had an accident recently, a young special needs boy who had been reported missing literally ran into the side of my partners car (MX5) damaged the front wing scraped the passenger paintwork and ripped the wing mirror off. Fortunately for the boy my partner was a special needs care assistant. The boy was OK and everything was sorted out re the car.

But, my partner kept complaining about pain around her shoulder and neck and that she couldn't move her head very far to the right and it hurts her a lot. I told her to get it checked out and she has been to the doctors about it and the doctor has confirmed it is whiplash and recommended Physiotherapy which I think is being arranged.

Because there was no insured third party she didn't think she could claim for the whiplash but I think she can. The accident happened approx 4-5 weeks ago

Assuming she has a comprehensive policy, her own insurance should cover this.

Quote Originally Posted by Beelzebub View Post
    Thanks, I'll phone the insurance people up because we are on a two car policy so they should speak to me regarding this situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Beelzebub View Post
    Under which section of the policy?

Yes - I just checked my policy (Saga) and apart from a minimal payment for "medical expenses" there is no personal injury cover included. Of course such cover can be taken out separately, but I assume that the OP does not have this.

I am not a lawyer, but if she were to attempt a claim, I guess it would be against the boy's parents or guardians. The situation would be pretty much the same as if your partner had been walking down the street when the boy ran into her and knocked her down.

The 'medical expenses' part of my policy would probably pay for a couple of sessions with a physio, but that would be it.

If the boys parents or carers have house contents insurance, then you would be entitled to make a claim off that policy, or you could sue the parents or carers as individuals.

However if they have no insurance or assetts andit went to trial and you won, the chances are that the defendants will make an offer to pay for example at the rate of 1 per week which means you will be waiting for evermore to get the money.

I have seen this a few times, and it is very rare that the claimant (injured person) gets very far due to the ack of assetts or insurance cover, even thogh you are within your rights to claim for the injuries sustained.

Yes TC - This is exactly what I found when a young lad (13yo) ran his bike into my car - I was stationary at the time. The legal advice was "Don't waste your money."

Quote Originally Posted by Santa View Post
    Yes - I just checked my policy (Saga) and apart from a minimal payment for "medical expenses" there is no personal injury cover included. Of course such cover can be taken out separately, but I assume that the OP does not have this.

I am not a lawyer, but if she were to attempt a claim, I guess it would be against the boy's parents or guardians. The situation would be pretty much the same as if your partner had been walking down the street when the boy ran into her and knocked her down.

The 'medical expenses' part of my policy would probably pay for a couple of sessions with a physio, but that would be it.
    If there is an insurer that includes cover for whiplash from your own policy as a fault driver I've never heard of it, it's unlikely to be included as it would be open to horrendous abuse.

You can buy cover for personal accident eg losing a limb or breaking a limb etc but that's entirely different