Thread: Car model advice please

Default Car model advice please

I have to admit, I am ignorant about cars and models. I just want something safe and comfortable and of good quality.

I am currently driving an MG ZS which as been really good, reliable etc. But it's getting old and I'd like to get something a bit newer, maybe 3 years old or so.

I recently drove a friend's Mercedes CLC and really liked it, so I'm thinking of buying a 3 year old one of them, but I'd like to look into other options too. Can anyone tell me what would be a similar level car that sells at a similar price? Just so I can test drive a few and see which fits me best. I don't often have passengers, so although I want a back seat, it doesn't have to be spacious. I'd prefer a 2 door over a 4 door, something a bit fun, not too utilitarian but still practical. I'm very short so I don't need a lot of head room or leg room.

I have about 15K to spend, which would buy me a low mileage 2011 CLC. Anyone got any suggestions about what else I might try?

Many thanks, Judith

You should not only consider the initial purchase price, but the ongoing costs as well. I note that Auto Express gives it only 2 out of 5 stars and says "Mercedes ownership doesn't come cheap and the CLC is no different, which throws its shortcomings into even sharper focus..."

I am not going to make suggestions, but you should spend a few weekends touring the local showrooms. If anything takes your fancy, do a search on it and see what others have to say. Remember that the windscreen price is only the beginning of the negotiation - only a fool or an enthusiast would pay the full asking price for any car.

With a budget of 15K you will have a well varied choice to chose from, but be careful when you do, as some cars cost a lot to run.The cost of insurance, and other things like tyres, exhausts, and servicing can vary quite a lot, good luck.

It depends on how much you can afford on Insurance, to some extent. What are the winters like where you live? Do you get a lot of Snow? If you do then I would opt for a Land Rover Defender, personally speaking.

How about a Volvo S80