Thread: Recommended stopovers from Zeebrugge to Venice and back again

Default Recommended stopovers from Zeebrugge to Venice and back again

Hi all,

My wife and I will be driving to Italy (Venice area) in June for the very first time and will start our journey using the overnight Hull - Zeebrugge ferry.

We plan to spend two further nights on our outward journey and are thinking of one night somewhere in Germany before dropping down to the Bolzano region of Northern Italy for our final night before arriving in the Venice area.

Do any members have any experience of this route and if so could you please recommend a good place to stay in Germany?

Also when we return home we are considering spending only one night in a hotel before we board the ferry from Zeebrugge, but we're a little concerned that the distance may be too much. If you were doing this where is a good place to stay between Venice and Zeebrugge, hopefully leaving a reasonably short final leg to Zeebrugge the following day?

Hoping somebody can help us and looking forward to your suggestions.

Paolo

Well - you should get a decent night's sleep on the ferry (assuming you have a cabin and the weather is not bad). So I think that Metz would be a good target for day one. The B&B chain offers cheap accommodation and i have used them (not the Metz one though) on several occasions. http://www.hotel-bb.com/en/hotels/metz-augny.htm Other hotels are available

You are, I assume budgeting for tolls. The alternatives would be more enjoyable, but much slower.

I have found that I invariably underestimate distances on the continent, and they have jams and roadworks too. I stronly advise you to get both some up-to-date printed maps, and a satnav. Also don't forget all the legal stuff - http://www.rac.co.uk/travel/driving-abroad
    Last edited by Santa; 21-05-14 at 13:16.

Thanks Santa,

We were thinking about avoiding France and staying over in Germany before passing through Austria on the way to the Bolzano area (we fancy seeing the the Ice Man exhibit at the South Tyrol museum).

To give a little more information, yes we do have a cabin. We paid the small upgrade fee for an outside cabin and we have booked all meals on board so hopefully the ferry part will be fairly relaxed. I'm ok about paying tolls as I'm used to paying them in Italy but I believe if I avoid France the tolls won't be as frequent or as high.

Not having done this before we are really guessing but somewhere south of Frankfurt would be ideal. Looking at the map would somewhere like Hockenheim be a reasonable target for the second night on the way out?

Thanks again,
    Paolo

Hockenheim looks doable to me - Google maps says 5 hors, so plenty of time for sightseeing. I cant recommend a hotel though and a quich search revealed a few that had poor reviews. I also found that they were booked up on a random Saturday in June. (Can't surely be anything to do with the Grand Prix - that's a month away)

Anyway - looking a bit further along, I found this. - http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_R...rttemberg.html

Looks pretty reasonable to me.

I love all the planning - it's half the fun of a holiday

Thanks again for the reply.

After further discussions with my wife we are now thinking Speyer may be a good alternative stop-over as it is just off the route and the transport museum looks interesting. It's about 5 hours from Zeebrugge.

My wife and I have never visited Austria so we thought Innsbruck may be a good stop-over for night three. We can still pick up the Ice Man at the South Tyrol Museum and have lunch in Bolzano on the way to the Venice area as the final leg from Innsbruck in only about 4 1/2 hours.

That looks doable and interesting so any suggestions for hotels in Speyer and Innsbruck please?

We would still like to do the return journey with just one overnight in a hotel before we get the ferry but don't want to be over-doing the driving. Could we have some ideas on this option please and just how far along the return journey to Zeebrugge do you think is safely manageable? My wife will drive a bit on the motorways so it's not all down to me.

Let's say we leave the Venice area around 9:00am and break every couple of hours for 15 mins and stop for an hour for lunch - how far would we get? Would we get back to the Speyer region so we had a sensibly short journey to the port in Zeebrugge on the last day?

We look forward to any comments and advice please as we need to get this booked now.

Thanks.

I can see no reason why you shouldn't head for Speyer on the way back - Google say 500 miles and 8 hours or so (plus stopovers)

You might also look at Karlsruhe which is less of a diversion and seems to have a good many reasonably priced hotels.

Have you tried posting on Tripadvisor? You are more likely to find some local knowledge there I think. Whatever - let us know what you decide.