Thread: Flying Stones.

Default Flying Stones.

I had to take the back road from visiting my wife in the Dunfermline Hospice, last night, as the A92 was closed after a bad accident. So I took the back roads, where I met a big lorry coming towards me, so I moved over the the left to give home more room.Then a stone came flying off one of his front wheels, and hit our car, I even ducked, as I thought it was going to come through the windscreen.When I got home, I looked at it and saw that it had made a bad chip on the front wing of the car? Right in the middle as well, I touched it up with some alloy wheel paint, but it's still really noticeable?And there was me saying a while ago, ....we don't see stone chips on the front of cars any more???

Oh dear - typical as you say. Unusual for it to come off a front wheel - sometimes they get squirted sideways, and the worst is when a large stone gets caught between the twin wheels at the back. I always look for that if I am following one, and drop right back if necessary.

Aye! Santa, I thought it was a lump of mud at first, as there was a lot of mud on that part of the road, just at a field gate.It probably was mud, but with a large stone in it? Pity though, as it spoils the whole look of the car now, as it's the first thing you see, when you look at that side of the car.

I know, Smudger, it's very frightening at the time - I've ducked on occasions, too - but have come to accept stone chips as a fact of life and try to deal with them according. At least having a somewhat battered freelander tends to avoid some of the worst Chelsea tractor comments!