Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone had a medical driving assessment?

I wish you the best of luck with it, let us know how it goes.

Had assessment. Could of gone better but could of been worse. First was testing to see if I can move ok. Turning head both ways, reaching up and round my back with my arms. Moving my feet between 2 objects and pressing on them like pedals in a car. Then a few mental tasks following instructions, sorting coloured shapes into groups. Most of which I've done before so I knew what to expect. I made mistake of saying I had done them before so had an extra task but was easy enough. Had to draw a line joining numbers and letters in order and was timed. I didn't know before but this was the main part that would decide if my injury was making me unsafe to drive. I passed all that part no problem.

Next was eyesight test and driving. I had been worried over the eyesight test as I've always been very short sighted so struggle reading number plates much further than required distance. Well I think it was actually measured in advance I had to stand on a line and read a number plate. Was much easier than on my tests which makes me think it was the exact distance rather than further. Next driving I was actually a bit nervous. Drove round in the grounds then went onto the main road no manoeuvres few roundabouts after about 15 min the assessor asked me to pull up and said I needed to look to see if I needed to stop at roundabouts rather than stopping then checking. I put it down to being over cautious through nerves. Improved after that. Was probably a bit hesitant at a junction but was worried about messing up trying to go when not safe. I was dialled at some traffic lights straight after a roundabout which I honestly think was down to not knowing the area at all. Yes I should of taken more notice. Was bit slow slowing to lower limits a few times. Had to do emergency stop where he said stop. Did that fine and a car pulled out in front of me and I braked to avoid that. At the end he asked how I felt it had gone I got upset knowing I'd messed it up mainly not seeing red traffic light. The assessor said he was pleased I was aware of my mistakes rather than not knowing I'd made them.

Out come they are advising the DVLA I need some refresher lessons which based on only the drive today I would agree with but looking at my overall driving I don't feel I need as I normally drive fine. I know when I make mistakes and honestly feel it was due to not knowing the area at all. I can think of a few places near me that have tricky layouts where people could be caught out for not knowing the area yet because I know the area I manage them fine.

Sounds like it went well for you, will you have to sit a driving test after these sessions he mentioned?I well remember my emergency driving test, the instructor took me to Glasgow, right in the middle of rush hour!.."..EEK Smiley"When it was over, he asked me if I had seen the big yellow double decker bus, on a large roundabout?Of course I saw it, but as soon as I saw it's wheels stopping, I carried on driving fast. I think he wanted me to show him that I was aware of the bus, "like moving my head" whereas I just moved my eyes, I passed it no bother though.My arm pits were like sponges though, due to concentration required, when driving like that.

Glad it went well for you. Don't get hung up by the assessor recommending a refresher course, there was a statistic flying about that something like 80% of drivers would fail a standard driving test if they took one today. As far as I know you would not need to take a test afterwards either. It would be more of a few coaching lessons by a IAM or RoSPA person giving you hints and tips (like the roundabout thing you mentioned).
    Anyway, well done.

No won't have to take test again just another assessment. I'm thinking have like 1 or 2 lessons near me if they go well I could ask for like 3 hour lesson to practice on roads near assessment centre. It's like an hour drive from me so 2 hours there and back so 3 hours I'd get an hour there. Just one question. Will I still be allowed on the motorway driving as I'm guessing my full licence will still be valid?

I wouldn't have thought you would need to go back to be re-assessed as it's only the driving element that needs re-assessment, ask your instructor though. And yes, you are allowed to drive on motorways as your licence has not been revoked.

I haven't got an instructor yet as I am waiting the DVLA decision which should be around 6 week and if the past letters from them are anything to go by it will be longer. The assessment team mentioned me going back for another assessment after some refresher lessons. I assumed that would be expected of me could I be wrong? Depending what the DVLA say I will get refresher lessons after hearing from them as if I do need another assessment I want the lessons leading up to the assessment. I honestly don't feel i need many so just a few to practice in areas I don't know.