Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AA Mis-fuelling recovery

Hybrid View

Default AA Mis-fuelling recovery

Yesterday afternoon we saw an AA patrol van with a car stuck at the roadside. There was a large diameter tube coming out of the fuel tank and going to the patrol van so we assumed the driver had mis-fuelled and the AA had turned out to drain the tank. The car was an Audi A3.
    I was surprised to see such a big pipe going into the filler neck. Below the flap is an anti-syphon valve so to get past it they must have broken it with such a large tube. Or possibly the large tube was connected to a very slim one, who knows?

Clearly the AA are not up to speed draining fuel this way. The RAC would shout 'health and safety' so is there a safe method that does not require open fuel tanks? Yes there is.

Using the correct diagnostic equipment connected to the car, there is a facility called 'Drain the fuel tank' in the service section on a lot of diagnostic tools for VW/Audi/Skoda/Seat group vehicles.
    Disconnect the fuel pipe at the filter under the bonnet, connect to a suitable receptacle and place it in an appropriate container, select the 'drain' function and the fuel pump will pump the tank dry in quick time.

Maybe the AA don't have good diagnostic equipment but even so, all they had to do was remove the fuel pump relay and bridge the terminals which would have done the same. Surely these 2 methods are what the recovery services should be using and not risk damaging customers cars? Poor standards in this day and age.

Arrow

Honest question for you Hometune as I respect this is your area of expertise.

Is it ok for the fuel pump to pump the tank dry this way.
    What I am getting at is,is it safe for the pump to have all the wrong fuel especially unleaded run through it.
    Or will it damage hence pumping it direct out of the tank?

Quote Originally Posted by Loony View Post
    Honest question for you Hometune as I respect this is your area of expertise.

Is it ok for the fuel pump to pump the tank dry this way.
    What I am getting at is,is it safe for the pump to have all the wrong fuel especially unleaded run through it.
    Or will it damage hence pumping it direct out of the tank?
    No its perfectly safe Loony as the same fuel pump in the fuel tank is used in petrol and diesel cars. Just found it a bit strange.

Quote Originally Posted by Hometune View Post
    No its perfectly safe Loony as the same fuel pump in the fuel tank is used in petrol and diesel cars. Just found it a bit strange.
    Thanks,i just didn't know that.

My apologies, I was not aware of your expertise in this area. Obviously I misinterpreted your description of the big pipe.

However may I question why you would assume I have no experience or expertise with vehicles?

"You need to get your facts right before you start 'slating' people off here."

Quote Originally Posted by MrMunster View Post
    My apologies, I was not aware of your expertise in this area. Obviously I misinterpreted your description of the big pipe.

However may I question why you would assume I have no experience or expertise with vehicles?
    I don't think you would have posted your comments as you would have known about the 'drain fuel tank' facility?

I wasn't having a go at the AA as such (I'm a member!) but it is frustrating to see such an approach by one of the big guns in the recovery industry.

Quote Originally Posted by Hometune View Post
    Yesterday afternoon we saw an AA patrol van with a car stuck at the roadside. There was a large diameter tube coming out of the fuel tank and going to the patrol van so we assumed the driver had mis-fuelled and the AA had turned out to drain the tank. The car was an Audi A3.
    I was surprised to see such a big pipe going into the filler neck. Below the flap is an anti-syphon valve so to get past it they must have broken it with such a large tube. Or possibly the large tube was connected to a very slim one, who knows?

Clearly the AA are not up to speed draining fuel this way. The RAC would shout 'health and safety' so is there a safe method that does not require open fuel tanks? Yes there is.

Using the correct diagnostic equipment connected to the car, there is a facility called 'Drain the fuel tank' in the service section on a lot of diagnostic tools for VW/Audi/Skoda/Seat group vehicles.
    Disconnect the fuel pipe at the filter under the bonnet, connect to a suitable receptacle and place it in an appropriate container, select the 'drain' function and the fuel pump will pump the tank dry in quick time.

Maybe the AA don't have good diagnostic equipment but even so, all they had to do was remove the fuel pump relay and bridge the terminals which would have done the same. Surely these 2 methods are what the recovery services should be using and not risk damaging customers cars? Poor standards in this day and age.
    Interesting that your apparent slating of the AA's ability or knowledge is based on an ASSUMPTION and not fact. As you noted it was a large diameter tube, to large for syphoning fuel, perhaps your assumption should have been he was not draining the fuel tank at all?

Cool

Maybe they were filming for a new TV show, or an advert for the AA, or maybe it was a prank? . Maybe it was some sort of Fiddle or a SCAM? ......
    Last edited by Dennis W; 13-05-14 at 16:41.

One does see some strange things on ones travels.

Maybe it was a Home Office experimental vehicle?

Quote Originally Posted by MrMunster View Post
    Interesting that your apparent slating of the AA's ability or knowledge is based on an ASSUMPTION and not fact. As you noted it was a large diameter tube, to large for syphoning fuel, perhaps your assumption should have been he was not draining the fuel tank at all?
    You need to get your facts right before you start 'slating' people off here.

Who said it was too large for syphoning? The pipe fitted in the filler neck so could be used to syphon and if you actually read my post properly you will have read it may well have been connected to a smaller one.
    The facts are that these cars have a safety method of fuel tank draining that you clearly have no idea even exist and that the AA do not have the up to date diagnostic equipment for this purpose. Your 'ASSUMPTION' as is to be expected.
    As you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about, have no expertise in vehicle diagnostics, vehicle fuel systems and a troll like attitude towards others, maybe go find a forum that will suit your confrontational style.
    Oh, no 'ASSUMPTION', Mr Troll, the tank was being drained. And how do I know this? The garage who now have the car asked me for some advice. Bye bye.