Thread: Is this a bit naughty?

Default Is this a bit naughty?

Yesterday, I witnessed a car of youngsters overtaking a car well in excess of the speed limint on a winding road (40 mph limit). About a mile furthur back before I saw this stupidity there were 2 workmen with survey gear in yellow hi viz jackets. I gave the overtaking car several flashes of my headlights as if it was a warning for a police radar (I would never warn speed merchants of the real police radar) The car obviously slowed and it would have taken them a long time to encounter workmen and not the police as they thought.So could I have stopped 4 youngsters being involved in an accident by fooling them to slow down to the speed limit?
    Last edited by Trainman; 28-05-14 at 12:48.

It's one of them things that you will never know Trainman, as for tipping them off about a possible speed trap, I've noticed recently, that doesn't happen as much as it used to! maybe it's because public opinion is changing towards speeding in general.Just like it did with drink driving, a few years ago, when the publics attitude towards drunk driving was totally changed.

The positive is that they did slow down, even if it was possibly for the wrong reason. You'll never know the answer, but you may have saved those workmen serious injury.

I tend to use flashing headlights and (if time) an arm slow down signal to oncoming traffic when I've just passed a hazard that isn't immediately obvious - common one is deer on the road or sheep with lambs (particularly twins as one will always go the wrong way!!). And I'll heed such warnings too.

Quote........"I tend to use flashing headlights and (if time) an arm slow down signal to oncoming traffic.Geez! I thought that Hand Signals went out years ago FJ.Mind you, some drivers don't bother to use the cars indicators, and that takes minimum effort?

They may not be the norm, but I've still got mates who drive vintage cars sans indicators and brake lights and I actually find it particularly useful when doing a right turn - the hand signal in addition to the indicator acts as a wake-up call to following cars! It's certainly given more than a few speed merchants ignoring a right turn on a straight stretch of road food for thought - combined with full lights and blast on horns when they overtake me after telling them I'm turning right!