Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Speeding advice please

Indeed it is obvoius, but don't you find it a little alarming how many drivers don't know the obvious? You know, things like speed limits, what lane to drive in on multi lane roads, how to join dual carriageways and motorways, what an unbroken white line means etc etc.

I know I do!

I don't think it's the fact that they don't know, it's just that those drivers don't want to drive to the rules, and totally ignore them, and have no respect for other drivers?

It's fair to say many drivers fall into both catagories, the ignorant and the arrogant. On many occasion I can not decide which so deem them irrogant. However in my experience (as an ex driving assessor) the ignorant are the (slightly) more dangerous.

Other than the OP admiting he didn't know the relevant law, a few examples

On one assessment I leaned over to pointedly look at the speedometer, the driver asked what I was looking at, I replied "the speedo", he responded "why, what's speed limit?". We were in fact doing 50mph in a 30 zone! He also didn't realise he was indicating right whilst exiting a roundabout, when I informed him he retorted "no I wasn't!"

I was a passenger in my brothers car in lane two of a near empty four lane motorway, when passed by another motorist who pulled accoss us into lane one, my brother asked "what did he do that for?" my obvious response was "because we drive on the left unless overtaking"..... He moved over.

Same brother, upon buying a trailer proudly anounced it was very stable....even at 70mph, strange but looked put out when I told him he the maximum speed for towing is 60mph, he "didn't know that".

A recent conversation in my office with a couple colleagues about driving on the A12 (a local and busy dual carrigeway) enlightened me to the fact that two people out of three (i was number three) thought that drivers on the main carriageway had to giveway to drivers joining the carriageway.

That's just a few of examples instances where I know full well it is ignorance of the rules/law not arrogance but that is not to say the arrogant ones aren't a menace either though.

You lost me arther.d, who's he and what legisation? Maybe I can help?

Quote Originally Posted by MrMunster View Post
    You lost me arther.d, who's he and what legisation? Maybe I can help?
    Who is arther.d?

I think he got banned and deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by Santa View Post
    I think he got banned and deleted.
    Thanks for that, Santa. Wonder what he did to upset Admin?