Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pressure washers

Default Pressure washers

Can anybody recommend a good soap to use in my pressure washer as I find karchers not very good

This is where the experts are. Use the search facility and you should find what they use.

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/

I gave up using soap in my washer. I just use Fairy Liquid and apply it to a wet car/caravan with a soft brush. If, after blasting it with the washer, there are any marks remaining, they get special attention. I do not wash either very often.

I find that it's pointless trying to blast under the wheel arches with my power washer, as the lance is too long and the wrong shape?Why don't they make the lance out of the same stuff they make adjustable camera tri-pods with, that would work great, as you can bend it to the shape you want!I always wash our car with a soft brush and proper car shampoo, the cheaper stuff, as using washing up liquid leaves streaks?

Quote Originally Posted by Santa View Post
    I gave up using soap in my washer. I just use Fairy Liquid and apply it to a wet car/caravan with a soft brush. If, after blasting it with the washer, there are any marks remaining, they get special attention. I do not wash either very often.
    I believe that I have read somewhere that washing up liquid is not suitable for use on car or caravan paintwork.

Quote Originally Posted by Brianarb w View Post
    Can anybody recommend a good soap to use in my pressure washer as I find karchers not very good
    I never use a pressure washer on either my car or caravan. Apart from any residual dirt clinging to the bodywork being turned into a shot-blasting compound under the pressure of the jet, there is the risk that water may be forced into crevices/box sections where it cannot escape. I use either a Halfords shampoo brush with a reservoir for the shampoo, and this attaches to the garden hose, or I use a bucket and sponge if there is not a film of gritty dirt on the paintwork.

I always rinse the car first with clean water. Only ever use Zymol car wash (Halfords sell it). Then I use a lambswool glove (Halfords) and gently clean from the top down leaving the dirty parts till the end. Lots of rinsing out of the glove to prevent particles scratching the lacquer and/or the paint. A good rinse then dry off with a couple of those super absorbent cloths that seem to hold gallons of water. Then a very quick rub over with a very soft polishing cloth to prevent or remove any stains or marks.

Quote Originally Posted by Santa View Post
    You should write a guide....A guide on what not to use to wash a car :-)

Washing up liquid is a big no no.

To the op,your best bet would be to get some decent snow foam and a snow foam lance. Then use a bucket with normal car shampoo.

This concerns me. I regularly use a local hand carwash and they are liberal in the use of the power washer. Is this putting the car bodywork at risk ? The modern carwash brushes don't seem to cause any scratches : are these safer ? Or should I get out the bucket/sponge and garden hose ? The car detailing website is great - thanks for the link.

Quote Originally Posted by belucky22 View Post
    This concerns me. I regularly use a local hand carwash and they are liberal in the use of the power washer. Is this putting the car bodywork at risk ? The modern carwash brushes don't seem to cause any scratches : are these safer ? Or should I get out the bucket/sponge and garden hose ? The car detailing website is great - thanks for the link.
    Use two buckets with grit guards in the bottom,one for shampoo one for rinsing the mitt/sponge.
    Use a lambs wool mitt or microfibre sponge and rinse the sponge/mitt in the second bucket to clean it out.

In some detailing guides they use foam lances to cover the car then gently rinse it all off. They then use a garden leaf blower like a giant hairdryer to get the water off. This way no one touches the paint finish.
    While the local car wash may use power washers, they also use a chamois to dry off and this can cause holograms, minor scratches and swirl marks where the lacquer is slightly damaged by fine grit particles.