Page 47 of 51 FirstFirst ... 374546474849 ... LastLast

Thread: Ford Focus dash electrical fault

Hi...on the subject of Ford focus instrument clusters : I have a MK3 2006 1.6 TDCI....all was fine when i bought it....a month later it developed an intermittent instrument
    cluster fault where all the lights would light up and it was stuck at idle revs (no matter if you pressed the accelerator) ...it seemed to happen when the car was up to temperature and when restarted it would perform this trick,when restarted it would take a while for it to clear.....then it progressively got worse and would cut out (idle revs) whilst driving....if you tapped the pod it would spring into life all would be fine for a while then it would resort back to all lights on !!!.....i found that if you pressed on the plastic cover of the instrument cluster all the lights would go out and you could resume normal driving...so whilst stationary parked at home i recreated the lights on the dash..undid the 2 retaining screws..moved the cluster to the left (in my case) and was fine....tightened the screws again ....have been driving for 2 days and no issues with lights up on the dash.....it worked for me...if this happens to you its worth a try before shelling big bucks on this at Frauds or an independent

Default Safety survey need responses

hi, doing a survey for a project involving a new product that may help with car safety in the future. if you have a spare few minutes could you please fill it out. cheers https://docs.google.com/forms/d/11Kr...ewform?c=0&w=1

I think you will be very lucky if the problem does not reappear, Marrco23. There is clearly a bad connection somewhere either inside the cluster or in the connector/wiring at the back of it.
    Before taking the plunge and opening up the cluster as I did back in posts #485 and #488, I tried much the same things as you but nothing worked for long.
    The repair I did then has been very successful though. It is well over a year and many thousands of miles ago now and there has been no sign of it since. In fact the old Focus is going better than ever.
    As I said then I cannot give any advice to anyone who is not able to repair it themselves. As I recall Hometune did give a suggestion a bit later in this thread about a company who might do a repair job for you if the problem comes back.

Hi middleman...thanks for the reply....yes i have read countless stories for this.....yes i know its a temp fix for something that needs to be addressed....maybe it is the dreaded dry solder joint or maybe a loose connection....one thing i did notice about the pod on removal that it had been out before because there was a hair line crack in the plastic cover.....so maybe trouble ahead !!!