Page 2 of 49 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Ford Focus dash electrical fault

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    ANYONE reading this with the same problem please endorse this thread as I am in the process of trying to gage exactly how many people are having this problem and in my view being had over by Ford!
    Just a quick note to say I'm also having this problem on an 04 Focus Zetec.
    Has anyone successfully claimed from Ford?

Default Instrument Cluster Fault

I have had a reply from Ford stating they will NOT be giving me anything towards the replacement of the cluster. They apparently base this on the age, mileage, servicing and loyalty.

I personally am not taking this lying down and have just sent another letter in requesting my money back (370) or stating I will seek recourse through the small claims court system.

It also appears that if you send a letter to the 'Executive Department' it gets forwarded to the Customer Relations Department! Hey presto the one department that told me they wouldn't help and told me to write to the 'Executive Department'!

My dealership have replaced SIX now this year. I have cold called other dealerships who stated they have had similar in.

Again PLEASE if you or anyone else is having the same problem please endorse this thread, I might just have to slap it on a courtroom table. Look at the brightside if I win my test case may lead to all yours being done for free! lol

Default Ford instrument Cluster fault

22/10/2007
    Had the instrument cluster changed at a cost of 348.00. Ford Customer Relationship Centre, rang today to say 'sorry they cannot pay a goodwill payment because the car is older than 4 - 5 months old' They have now closed the case. Audi have had a similar problem, and I know 1st hand that they have a goodwill payment in force. Maybe, motoring organisations, such as the RAC may help in putting pressure on Ford to look into this problem, as it does seem to becoming more wide spread. It appears, Ford are hoping the problem will go away. The mileage on the cluster, when picked up from the garage was 16 miles. They cannot change it to the original mileage (50115). I have been told, by a new car sales person (friend) this could devalue the car on resale. More reason for the RAC. etc to get involved.

HI all

Drove to work monday morning....when i got in my focus (1.6 zetec 52 plate) to drive home, all the gauges had stopped working. Checked all the fuses etc.
    I see this is a common fault.

Anyone found a easy fix? (and i dont mean shelling out 350)

Anyone had a positive response from ford?

Hi all,
    I have a similar problem, I have a Focus Zetec 1.6 53 plate and it has an instrument cluster failure while I was driving. Just been quoted 335 by a Ford garage to replace and fit.

First before my warranty ran out the ABS light kept coming up sometimes for weeks or not at all - I reported this to a Ford garage, for free they investigated but could not find the cause (I think they fobbed me off here).
    Now my warranty has ran out and the ABS light still kept coming up and I suffered instrument failure - After three days of investigations Ford say that because the ABS light kept coming up its probably caused by the instrument failure. Now I reported this before my warranty ran out but they failed to find a cause - Help!
    I noticed that by looking at other threads it seems that instrument failure occurs when the car is 3-4 years old This has got to be a manufacturing defect hasn't it???

Default Cluster panel problems

A few weeks ago my speedometre,rev counter and milage started flashing and jumping on my Ford Focus Estate 2003 TDCI, then the warning lights kept coming on and off. I called the RAC who told me to take it to Ford as the car had a known fault. They investigated and wanted to do the ECU test (75) but having read your advice I asked them not to do so. They have quoted 350 for a new cluster panel before they had even done the ECU test! I challenged them as to what they would do towards the payment for a known fault with their cars and was told nothing. I then asked how they could morally continue to sell cars with known faults. I was told they didn't make me buy the car. I was also told that the ideal was that we change our cars every 3 years, so I then asked was it true that Ford cars were then only built to last 3 years as mine was only 4 and was greeted with a shrug of the shoulders. I asked if they had had other such problems and they said that they had replaced quite a few and I asked if they had informed Ford and expressed their concern on behalf of their customers . I was told it was their job to sell cars, not contact Ford over these issues, and that Ford had the information if they wanted to use it. They gave me the number of Ford customer services who I contacted and we had a conversation about the known fault.
    I asked if they would help pay for the new cluster panel and was told that until I had the diagnostic test done they couldn't say ( so in fact the cluster panel costs 425). I said suppose I have had the test done and I need a new cluster panel would you be prepared to pay? We batted back and forth over this with the age of the car and other irrelevancies etc I continued to ask if as a principal Ford were prepared to pay for this known fault eventually he said no. He then said things go on cars tyres, brakes etc I said yes one would expect them to as they suffered from wear and tear a cluster panel did not. I have been given the address of Ford HQ in Coventry.
    I phoned a local non Ford garage I trust who told me that this is a common fault with Fords and that they saw lots of them and that sadly they were unable to do the work, and couldn't believe that Ford wanted 350 for a cluster panel. Apparantlly the work has to be done by Ford because the car needs reprogramming.
    By the way I mentioned to both my Ford garage and to Customer Services that my next car would not be a Ford and that I would tell my family and friends not to buy Ford either. I was told on both occasions that that was up to me. No wonder Ford world wide is doing so badly

Hi Andy,

Having exactly the same problem with my Focus Estate 52 plate TDCI with 50K on the clock.

I have had it diagnosed as an 'Instrument Cluster' fault and I'm in the process of having it replaced. For your info I have been reliably informed that this fault will NOT appear on ECU diagnostic checks so don't waste your money unless you really have to.

I've researched this and it would appear that this is a common fault on this model. I am in the process of approaching Ford regarding this as I believe it should be a recall as a 'manufacturing defect'.

Eventually your cluster will go completely if it is faulty, although connections can be cleaned I think (Ford will want you to have a new one!). They come at approx 370.00 all in, so not cheap.

ANYONE reading this with the same problem please endorse this thread as I am in the process of trying to gage exactly how many people are having this problem and in my view being had over by Ford!

Default Anybody get any luck from Ford?

This problem has just happened to my 01 plate focus 1.6 Ghia.

Has any body got any further with Fords with regards refunds etc?

Same symptoms: no rear wiper, internal lights, guages go from zero to maximum randomly and digi odometer is blank. Also get strange noises from the speakers every now and then when I switch the lights on.

Tried cleaning the earths and they now good but problem still persists.

Called Fords and they instantly said it is likely to be the Instrument Cluster (known problem) which can be replaced for ~325.

Default Faulty dash on Focus Estate 2003

Hi All

Just read about others experiencing problems with the cluster panel. Over the past two weeks I have witnessed my alternator and battery warning lights flashing on and off. The rev counter and speed dial were dropping to zero and back up again. I took it to my local Ford dealer and explained and they had it in for the day on a diagnostic machine - said they had "made good the plugs" and it should be OK now - 82.50 please. So I got into my car and when i started the engine the alternator light stayed on, so i called the guy over to witness it and this time the panel had lost it's memory, so he spoke to the "Master Technician" who reckoned it could be a cluster problem. I was told to bring it back the next day, if it was a cluster problem it could be fixed, but if not then i was looking at a big expense. I took it back the next day and they told me that the lights hadn't come on all day and it looked fine, but they had purged the computer in the car (different guy this time). 42.50 please (i told them were to run), I went back outside with the guy to start the car and what do you know the alternator and battery lights came on again and stayed on. He called the "Master Technician" over to witness it and they both then came to the conclusion that I would need a new cluster panel, at around 300-400 excluding fitting! I left it there.
    Last edited by WidnesKit; 28-10-07 at 11:13. Reason: spelling

Hi Andy,

Having exactly the same problem with my Focus Estate 52 plate TDCI with 50K on the clock.

I have had it diagnosed as an 'Instrument Cluster' fault and I'm in the process of having it replaced. For your info I have been reliably informed that this fault will NOT appear on ECU diagnostic checks so don't waste your money unless you really have to.

I've researched this and it would appear that this is a common fault on this model. I am in the process of approaching Ford regarding this as I believe it should be a recall as a 'manufacturing defect'.

Eventually your cluster will go completely if it is faulty, although connections can be cleaned I think (Ford will want you to have a new one!). They come at approx 370.00 all in, so not cheap.

Same thing happened to me within a year of owning focus, so was replaced under warranty.

My Focus went into garage today, turns out the alternator was overcharging at 19V, hopefully new alternator and battery will sort it and nothing else has fried!