Page 43 of 51 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 ... LastLast

Thread: Ford Focus dash electrical fault

I spent a very frustrating five minutes or so trying to work out how to unplug the “scart” type connector from the back of the cluster.

Then I had a eureka moment and noticed the black plastic clasp that holds it in place and this simply levers up/forward to release the socket. On the video you can see his index finger doing this at approx 2:35 minutes and takes barely a second to perform once you know what to do.

At the back of the instrument cluster there is a cover which UN clips to reveal the PCB. If you pause the video at 2:40 you will see the instrument cluster and notice the white plastic part and also the black plastic back cover which is held on by "U" shaped clips. Just gently push these up over the white plastic raised " stops" . Also there are 2 additional screws holding the cover in place they need to be removed and then the cover comes off to reveal the back of the PCB. I only cleaned the back of the PCB. I didn't want to take the front part off unless i had to

I noticed brown marks as detailed above and sprayed the PCB with PCB cleaner then gently rubbed them off with cotton wool buds.

Like you I have little to no experience with anything like this. It was however a very simple and easy process to carry out.

Some posters in this thread have mentioned that if Ford change your cluster out for a new one the odometer is set at zero and it can be a problem to get the original mileage certified .This was enough for me to want to try a repair rather than a replacement .Oh and of course saving £600 was an additional bonus.

If you are unsure or not yet feeling confident to do this yourself i would suggest reading back through the various posts in this thread.Its full of great information.
    Last edited by frontinius; 25-10-13 at 14:27. Reason: added more information

Hi every one,

It is a relief to see that so many people have the same car problem. I have a ford Focus 2005, 1.6. I recently bought it second hand. While the first owner said she had no complains, within a six month period, i have encountered a problem with the eractic display of messages on my dash board. Of recent the ignition would not start, i would have to turn the jey in the ignition a few times before it starts. I have heard everyone talk about the cost, but guys it appears that Ford made these vehicle so that they could make their mony off the sale of these expensive parts. Well i am from the caribbean, St. Lucia to be exact. That mean in addition to sourcing my part, i would have to pay for postage, customs duty, vat and the cost of replacing the cluster. Not forgeting, the local dealer with the franchise charged me 55 pounds sterling (250 eastern caribbean dollars) to diagnose it. Ofcause i am not sure they did any diagnosis cause an employee had already informed my mechanic that it was the cluster. But i wanted to make sure so i paid them that EC$250. From the diagnosis i was told i would have to pay EC$3850.00/ 885 pounds sterling. This is crazy, i was informed by an ex-employee that they have had a number of these same fault to these fords. So i give my full support and will be glad to advocate something in my own country, although this is not a pretty new make of vehicle in this couuntry. I will have to print the post before mine and ask my mechanic to check this theory out .

I find that the central locking randomly clicks while I am driving. on my ford Focus.

Hi everyone,
    thank you so much for putting all this information up. I have one BIG problem. I followed the steps to take off the PCB board and cleaned it with PCB cleaner, but now nothing works. The car will not start, the clocks dither rapidly and the warning lights show up randomly and then disappear. It's just not normal. Absolutely nothing works, not even the central locking. Is there anyone who has any ideas on where I went wrong or can advise me out of this black tunnel I find myself in?

I would be ever so grateful for any suggestions.

Thank you in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Focusdisaster View Post
    Hi everyone, thank you so much for putting all this information up. I have one BIG problem. I followed the steps to take off the PCB board and cleaned it with PCB cleaner, but now nothing works. The car will not start, the clocks dither rapidly and the warning lights show up randomly and then disappear. It's just not normal. Absolutely nothing works, not even the central locking. Is there anyone who has any ideas on where I went wrong or can advise me out of this black tunnel I find myself in? I would be ever so grateful for any suggestions. Thank you in advance.
    You might want to also post this as it's own thread in the technical section.

Thanks Mike Gray, will do!

Quote Originally Posted by frontinius View Post

Like you I have little to no experience with anything like this.

Some posters in this thread have mentioned that if Ford change your cluster out for a new one the odometer is set at zero and it can be a problem to get the original mileage certified .
    The odometer is NOT left at zero. The diagnostic tool will input the original mileage which should have been noted before starting work. The original Ford tool (IDS) can ONLY increase the mileage, not decrease it. This takes just a few moments to do.

Default Focus (04) 1.6 lx

know there's quite a bit about this around the net, but if anybody in the know could give some quick advice I'd be grateful.

There seem to be two common problems affecting the Focus speedo as far as I can tell.

The first, where various dials and lights on the dash go haywire was the subject of a Watchdog report which resulted in Ford offering a repair for a fixed price of £99.

The second seems to be associated with the speed sensor, which causes the speedometer to drop to zero intermittently but doesn't (I don't think) affect any other dials or lights.

In my case the problem seems to be limited just to the speedometer sterio - Initially at least once on every journey the needle drops to zero for a while, and the odometer either freezes or shows -------. This sounds to me to be more like the speed sensor as only the speedo is affected and there is no surging of the needle or the like - it just drops straight to zero. Radio also goes quieter and an almost imperceptible drop in engine power when the needle drops. More recently the Speedo has stopped working for 5 minuites at a time.

I have a friend with diagnostic equipment is there any way of diagnosing the issue with without paying a ford dealer for the privilege? Has anybody had a similar issue?

Could somebody please advise ??

Kind Regards

Dan Howe

Dan Howe, my focus gives me the same problem you've described except my revometer and temp gauge goes too when the orange management light goes on. I don't know about it being the speedo sensor nor how to diagnose it. But I have recently followed the instructions on taking off and cleaning the cluster instrument with PCB cleaner. Now my cluster instrument does not get interrupted as much as it did before.

A question: how recent did you see that Watchdog thing?

Thank you. Hope to hear from you soon.

Quote Originally Posted by DanHowe View Post
    I have a friend with diagnostic equipment is there any way of diagnosing the issue with without paying a ford dealer for the privilege? Has anybody had a similar issue?
    Dan Howe
    If the diagnostic equipment can read the engine management and the instrument cluster then you will be able to narrow the fault down to the speed sensor. You may get a fault code P0500 in the engine management fault code menu which would confirm the speed sesnor.