Page 1 of 48 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Ford Focus dash electrical fault

Post Ford Focus dash electrical fault

The dials and gauges on the dash of my Focus TDCI (52) have failed to operate when I've turned on the ignition on a couple of occasions recently. There's been no reading on the mileometer either, although the backlight is operating. After driving for a while, switching off the engine and starting it again, everything has come back to life so, presumably, not a blown fuse. Anyone got any ideas what the problem might be and how much it going to cost me to get it sorted?

Default Dashboard Fault

Hi Andy,

Having exactly the same problem with my Focus Estate 52 plate TDCI with 50K on the clock.

I have had it diagnosed as an 'Instrument Cluster' fault and I'm in the process of having it replaced. For your info I have been reliably informed that this fault will NOT appear on ECU diagnostic checks so don't waste your money unless you really have to.

I've researched this and it would appear that this is a common fault on this model. I am in the process of approaching Ford regarding this as I believe it should be a recall as a 'manufacturing defect'.

Eventually your cluster will go completely if it is faulty, although connections can be cleaned I think (Ford will want you to have a new one!). They come at approx £370.00 all in, so not cheap.

ANYONE reading this with the same problem please endorse this thread as I am in the process of trying to gage exactly how many people are having this problem and in my view being had over by Ford!

If it's a minor fault, such as this, there is no way Ford will do a recall,
    I belong to the ford galaxy forum and the number of reccuring faults is quite staggering, however there is no recall for any of them despite pressure being applied from the forum.
    The Service Bulletins on Fords Technical Information Service CD make quite interesting reading.

Default Dashboard Fault

Ummm would not say this one is minor, no full gage, no odometer, no temperature gage and no speedo. I'm sure Mr Policeman doesn't see it that way! lol

The fact is yes whilst things do go wrong with cars there comes a point when really we as the consumer have a right to get what we paid thousands of pounds for. Sure there are loads of items on a vehicle that are expected to go and will through time, but dashboards on a vehicle of 5years age??????

I suppose it's down to personal preference and what a person is willing to accept.

Is there a focus forum? by the sounds of it it may be worth a visit.

Default Dashboard fault

Thanks for the info dogboy and best of luck with the approach to Ford about the problem. I fully agree that you should expect to get more than five years out of a dashboard.

Sounds like Iíll be shelling out for and Instrument Cluster replacement, though will enquire about the possibility of getting the connections cleaned.

Default Dashboard Fault

Hi Andy,

It obviously depends on how you personally feel but if you need a new cluster I wouldn't just shell out the cash. As I've said this appears to be a manufacturing defect with this model.

Under the 'Limitation Act' of 1980 you have up to 6 years to claim for manufacturing defect.

Ford customer service will palm you off if you seek a free replacement; send a letter to :

Executive Department
    Ford Motor Co.
    Eagle Way
    Warley
    Brentwood
    Essex
    CM13 3BY

Best of luck mate.

Default Ford Focus Problems

Hiya,

I am having problems with my Ford Focus 1.8TDI (V registration). I find that sometimes the radio will not work, the trip meter resets itself back to zero and now found that a rear light doesnt work and changing the bulb makes no difference ... any suggestions?

Thanks

Alison

hi all
    i have an 04 plate focus st170 and i have the same problem,its really ******* me off because my warranty finish just 6 months ago i went to my local ford garage and its going to cost me about the same

check the earth on the battery post, but especially where it goes down to the body near the washer bottle as it is often soaked when the bottle is filled up. Remove and clean the terminal on the inner wing area, this means wire brush and WD40! Also the small earth wire on the back of the cylinder head needs to be checked, apololgies if you have all been down this route but nobody has mentioned it! Don't overlook the obvious stuff!

Default Focus instrument cluster fault

I've a focus estate 1.8 TDCI (03 plate) just clocked up 50000 miles last week.
    It went in yesterday (15/10/07) to a ford service centre, to sort out why the rev counter, digi display etc, have an intermittant fault. It's been diagnosed as a problem with the instrument cluster, at a cost of approx £350.
    Have been in touch with Ford customer relationship centre (0845 841 1111) and they are looking into, maybe a token payment towards the part. It was stated during the conversation, that because the car is 53 months old, possibly not.
    They have asked the service centre for full service history, don't know why, because it's not a servicable part. They also asked me how many, if any, other Fords I have owned in the past. Does that mean, the more Fords I have owned, the more likely a token payment will be on it's way.
    I'll wait and see, and keep you all posted with the outcome