Thread: Car Hit Whilst Parked - Not on CCTV but noise heard

Default Car Hit Whilst Parked - Not on CCTV but noise heard

Helllo All,

During the Easter holidays i parked my car in our strett a few doors from my house only to find a few hours later that somebody had driven into it and damaged the door so badly that i now need a new door. A neighbour across the road has a CCTV camara but on viewing it we saw the car driving past but it was out of shot when it hit my car. We did however hear the noise of impact so my question is if i went to the police would they investigate or will they say the actual 'point of impact' was not caught on camera and therefore a prosecution would be unlikely.

thanks
    bugsy

I assume that you have the reg No.

If you do, there is no reason you shouldn't try the police - failing to stop, is a criminal offence (remember the politician who got a visit recently?). You have nothing to lose by trying.

With the cost of a new door, I would certainly go along with Santa's advice. The degree of damage must surely have transferred paint from car to car. Have you taken a trip around the locality to see if you can spot a likely-looking vehicle?
    It isn't a minor incident - consider the possibility that such a driver might still drive off if they hit a person. Inform the police.

I know what it's like to have your car "bumped" while it's parked. I was parked in a disabled bay at the hospital the other day, and when I came back to it later, someone had put a big dent on the passenger side?They must have hit it hard as the dent is about the size of a fist, and it's located at the edge where the two doors meet?I was, and still angry about it, as most of you know, we have only had it for a couple of months!

Know how you feel, smudger. Our car was less than a month old (from new) when it was slammed by a hit-and-run driver in a stolen car. I got out to approach this vehicle, and was nearly run down as the driver swerved around me to speed off. The only description I was able to give the police was that he was male, white, with dark curly hair, and shirt-sleeved. I told the police officer that my only way of improving that description was to say that he looked like a typical 'traveller'. Neither the car nor the driver were ever traced.

Aye! It's always the case, they can't seem to find the culprits like that, but, if they were driving over the speed limit, they would catch them without any problem?. (Winking Smiley)

Quote Originally Posted by smudger View Post
    Aye! It's always the case, they can't seem to find the culprits like that, but, if they were driving over the speed limit, they would catch them without any problem?. (Winking Smiley)
    This is the pity, smudger. Often, I think, the police are not really interested in cases where only a vehicle has been damaged. The tragedy is, how do they know that catching this hit-and-run driver now, will not result in preventing a serious/fatal injury to an innocent person at some later date?

Aye! That's a good point, they say prevention is better than a cure. I don't see why they treat "damage only" accidents as unimportant, after all, a persons car is the second most expensive they buy, next to their house, and in their eyes it IS important to them.It's the same as someone damaging your house, when you think about it.