Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Vectra Handbrake

Default Hacked Off '05 Vectra Owner!!

Hi Fellow Posters,

Hope I get the formatting correct, as this is my debut posting!

Whilst calling at my local Cooperative store today, I parked in the store's car-park as normal, engaged the handbrake and exited the car.

5 minutes later upon my return, I initially thought I was having one of those moments, as 45 year olds sometimes do, as my car was not in the space that I was pretty certain that my car had previously occupied. Within a couple of seconds I suddenly realised that my senses had not altogether deserted me, as to my sheer horror, I caught sight of my Vectra at the opposite side of the car-park, resting against a silver Clio Sport, obviously having rolled down the incline.

On running across to the car I discovered upon opening it that the handbrake lever was in the down-position. I have been driving long enough to say with some conviction that I cannot believe that I would have parked the car with the handbrake incorrectly applied.

Fortunately, both cars were relatively insignificantly damaged, although given the age of both cars, it's going to have to be a claim on the Insurance policy. I consider it scandalous that Vauxhall appear to be taking a scant disregard to what is obviously a serious design defect!! Obviously a 'Warning' sticker on the inside of the sun-visor should make it OK then!! I've only just noticed it by the way, as a consequence of reading the info. on these postings.

Shame on you GM, whilst my sorry tale only affects the Clio owner and myself in respect of this incident, it could have been an infirm pensioner or a young mum pushing a pram who were taken out, thank god it wasn't but this is a very busy store and the consequences could have been far worse!!

I intend to take this further and will be asking my Legal Representatives to have a go at Vauxhall.

And there was me thinking that it was only the Indicators on this car that Vauxhall had got wrong?? I could go on, but that's another story!

Can I suggest that anyone affected by a safety defect (VOSA defines a safety defect as "a feature of design or construction liable to cause significant risk of personal injury or death") to contact VOSA 01179543300 and ask for a VSDR100 to be posted to them, complete the form and return.

I doubt many people have done this, and for VOSA to be aware of how prevalent the problem they need the feedback to be able to force the manufacturer to rectify any faults.

Default vauxhall astra handbrake failure

Quote Originally Posted by mike t View Post
    On 15/01/2008, my wife who has 23 yrs driving experience with no accidents or claims parked our 2006 astra on a hill to visit a friend. she parked the car and applied the handbrake, (it was quite a steep hill and the car would have certainly rolled back if the handbrake was not applied properly). she proceded to knock on the front door of the person she was visiting and remembers looking at the stationery car while waiting at the door.
    she spent approx 20 mins on her visit and left the house to find to her horror the car had gone.
    The car had somehow rolled down the hill firstly hitting a parked car and then careering across to the other side of the road and crashing into a wall causing probably thousands of pounds worth of damage.
    There have been many reports of the vectra and signum having a handbrake fault but how many astras have the same fault ?.
    Vauhall motors needs to get a grip and recognise there is a fault before more innocent people are killed. It was only by luck that in my wifes case the road was clear and there were no pedestrians on the pavement at that time.
    please do contact me if anyone else has had similar.
    Exactly the same thing happened to me last night (31/3/08). I have a 2006 astra. I came home from work and parked the car on my drive which has a slight incline. Five minutes later the doorbell rang. The car had rolled off the drive and down the road, crashing into a neighbour's car which was parked on the roadside. I am 100% certain the handbrake was left on - had it not been the car would have started rolling down the drive immediately and I would definitely have noticed. I live on a quiet cul de sac where there are often children playing in the street. I am just so thankful that on this occasion there was no one out in the street to get hurt. I have had the car since August and chose for the first time to buy a newish car as I felt it would be more reliable. I can't believe that the handbrake can just fail in this way.

Cool Handbrake/Parking brake

Quote Originally Posted by Angela K View Post
    Exactly the same thing happened to me last night (31/3/08). I have a 2006 astra. I came home from work and parked the car on my drive which has a slight incline. Five minutes later the doorbell rang. The car had rolled off the drive and down the road, crashing into a neighbour's car which was parked on the roadside. I am 100% certain the handbrake was left on - had it not been the car would have started rolling down the drive immediately and I would definitely have noticed. I live on a quiet cul de sac where there are often children playing in the street. I am just so thankful that on this occasion there was no one out in the street to get hurt. I have had the car since August and chose for the first time to buy a newish car as I felt it would be more reliable. I can't believe that the handbrake can just fail in this way.
    NEVER EVER rely on a handbrake! Leave the car in gear and this can't happen!

Default Asra handbrake failure

Quote Originally Posted by lawscot View Post
    Good day. I think that there is now no doubt that there is a major problem with Vectra/Signum handbrake failures. I am a lawyer in Edinburgh and have a client who was badly injured by crushing when her Signum rolled back on her just after she had parked it. I am in contact with dozens of owners/users who have had similar experiences and am aware of a number of cases being handled by lawyers in England where personal injury has occurred. One lawyer in Manchester is dealing with a fatal accident where a parked car rolled away and hit two ladies one of whom was trapped and sadly died.

An engineer in England has a video of a failure happening under test in December 07. This is being passed to VOSA.

VOSA are investigating at present and an enquiry involving them, the police and also the handbrake manufacturer (not Opel/Vauxhall) is under way. The manufacturer is a subcontractor to Vauxhall/Opel and the handbrake is made in Europe.

At the moment there are far too many cases for it just to be user error though it seems that we do not have a definitive explanation for the failures as yet. There are other forums on other sites which go into this sad episode at length over the last few years so if you are affected you are not alone! Complain to VOSA and refer your complaint to Martin Ryder there at the Vehicle Safety Branch Berkley House, Croydon Street, Bristol. BS5 0DA.

I would be happy to learn of any other incidents. No, I am not touting for more business! The more cases we know of the less likely Vauxhall can say people that drive Vectras/Signums are too stupid to apply the hand brake properly!

Meantime park leaving the car in gear and wheels to the kerb and hope that will be sufficent to hold the car in the event of a failure. Anyone considered that if your car is bumped in that condition that it might damage gearbox etc?

regards all
    Handbrake failed to hold on my Astra. 20 minutes after I parked it. Vauxhall say nothing wrong with handbrake. Please advise
    Plnanders@*****.co.uk

Cool Hand/parking Brake

I have never had a problem with a handbrake letting go because I NEVER trust the damned thing in the first place - I always leave my vehicle in gear, as I was taught in the "bad" old days!

Quote Originally Posted by lawscot View Post
    Good day. I think that there is now no doubt that there is a major problem with Vectra/Signum handbrake failures. I am a lawyer in Edinburgh and have a client who was badly injured by crushing when her Signum rolled back on her just after she had parked it. I am in contact with dozens of owners/users who have had similar experiences and am aware of a number of cases being handled by lawyers in England where personal injury has occurred. One lawyer in Manchester is dealing with a fatal accident where a parked car rolled away and hit two ladies one of whom was trapped and sadly died.

An engineer in England has a video of a failure happening under test in December 07. This is being passed to VOSA.

VOSA are investigating at present and an enquiry involving them, the police and also the handbrake manufacturer (not Opel/Vauxhall) is under way. The manufacturer is a subcontractor to Vauxhall/Opel and the handbrake is made in Europe.

At the moment there are far too many cases for it just to be user error though it seems that we do not have a definitive explanation for the failures as yet. There are other forums on other sites which go into this sad episode at length over the last few years so if you are affected you are not alone! Complain to VOSA and refer your complaint to Martin Ryder there at the Vehicle Safety Branch Berkley House, Croydon Street, Bristol. BS5 0DA.

I would be happy to learn of any other incidents. No, I am not touting for more business! The more cases we know of the less likely Vauxhall can say people that drive Vectras/Signums are too stupid to apply the hand brake properly!

Meantime park leaving the car in gear and wheels to the kerb and hope that will be sufficent to hold the car in the event of a failure. Anyone considered that if your car is bumped in that condition that it might damage gearbox etc?

regards all
    Same thing happened with my Astra. Have you taken legal advice? Am reporting my incident to VOSA as suggested by post by lawscot

Sorry, what I meant to ask was...please advise me how to poceed with my comlaint as Vauxhall have categorically denied that there is a fault with their handbrake system. I have witness statements to the incident of my Astra rolling backwards with the handbrake on. It demolished a fence and damaged the back of my car. I live in Alderley Edge and would like to know the solicitor contact details in Manchester who is dealing with similar incidents. Thanks
    Pauline

Default Astra rolled away ...

I've had the same happen to my 07 plate astra. Vauxhall say that the fault is with the Vectra's and not the Corsa's / Astra's... which is crazy considering how many people this has happened too. What is the best way to go about it ? Watchdog advised me to go to Trading Standards.
    Vosa have apparently denied that there this anything wrong with them aswell as vauxhaul.

Quote Originally Posted by Watcher View Post
    NEVER EVER rely on a handbrake! Leave the car in gear and this can't happen!
    Hate to be arguementitive but driving instructors now teach you not to leave your car in gear. Also, it can damage your gearbox if you get hit while its parked.