Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Vectra Handbrake

quick shout if anyone want to know watchdog thingy on now BBC1

Info regarding last nights show is here http://www.bbc.co.uk/consumer/tv_and...20080116.shtml

part of it it says:

"Vauxhall believes that the handbrake system used in the Vectra and Signum is safe, however, Vauxhall treats all matters relating to the safety of its products as its highest priority. In line with this priority and that of continuous improvement, Vauxhall has decided to implement, as a customer satisfaction programme, a modification to the handbrake mechanism to reduce the possibility of a partial release when incorrectly setting the handbrake.

Owners of c250,000 manual transmission Vectra and Signum models (produced from 2002) will receive a letter from the company requesting that they contact their nearest retailer to arrange for the modification, at no cost to the customer. Vauxhall Motors Limited is launching this customer satisfaction programme in agreement with the Vehicle and Operator Services Agency (VOSA), an executive agency of the Department of Transport."

Could somebody please post the relevant paragraph from the Handbook. Thanx.

Default Vectra handbrake

Hi there
    the handbrake failed on a car which I hired,
    well I need to know how many other people have had the same problem with this make off car. So if you have these details tell me more.

Just been on BBC on Watchdog tonight!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Default another signum rolls away...

Hi,

My Signum rolled off my driveway (summer 07), across the street and through my neighbours wall.

Insurance company paid out to rebuild the wall, only slight cosmetic damage to rear bumper.

I took a hit on my NCB and hence premium went up at renewal.

I contact the insurance company initially and raised this known issue and requested they contcat vauxhall to reclaim losses.

Insurance company said if there was a vehicle fault, VX would have recalled (or words to that effect)

VX said, if the insurance company has paid out, they must think I was at fault, not the vehicle (or words to that effect).

CATCH 22....

I have documentation regarding the above.

Please contact me if I can be of asistance with further info.

Regards,

Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by lawscot View Post
    Good day. I think that there is now no doubt that there is a major problem with Vectra/Signum handbrake failures. I am a lawyer in Edinburgh and have a client who was badly injured by crushing when her Signum rolled back on her just after she had parked it. I am in contact with dozens of owners/users who have had similar experiences and am aware of a number of cases being handled by lawyers in England where personal injury has occurred. One lawyer in Manchester is dealing with a fatal accident where a parked car rolled away and hit two ladies one of whom was trapped and sadly died.

An engineer in England has a video of a failure happening under test in December 07. This is being passed to VOSA.

VOSA are investigating at present and an enquiry involving them, the police and also the handbrake manufacturer (not Opel/Vauxhall) is under way. The manufacturer is a subcontractor to Vauxhall/Opel and the handbrake is made in Europe.

At the moment there are far too many cases for it just to be user error though it seems that we do not have a definitive explanation for the failures as yet. There are other forums on other sites which go into this sad episode at length over the last few years so if you are affected you are not alone! Complain to VOSA and refer your complaint to Martin Ryder there at the Vehicle Safety Branch Berkley House, Croydon Street, Bristol. BS5 0DA.

I would be happy to learn of any other incidents. No, I am not touting for more business! The more cases we know of the less likely Vauxhall can say people that drive Vectras/Signums are too stupid to apply the hand brake properly!

Meantime park leaving the car in gear and wheels to the kerb and hope that will be sufficent to hold the car in the event of a failure. Anyone considered that if your car is bumped in that condition that it might damage gearbox etc?

regards all

Angry Vectra rolls away

Today my wife visited her friends and parked on their drive which has a slight incline, with the handbrake firmly on, after about 10 minutes she heard shouting from outside. When she looked out of the window our vectra was in their garden, fortunately no one was hurt and no damage was done, the car was only serviced a few weeks ago and no problem was reported.
    The handbrake does not appear to be working at all now, so back to Vauxhall to see what excuse they can come up with!

Default Vectra Handbrake Fault

2 Years ago I paid out 250 excess to my insurance company, because the handbrake of my Vectra failed and rolled into a garden wall. I approached the local vauxhall dealer and told them that the handbrake hand released on its on accord. They subsequently had a look at the car and surprise surprise said that there was no fault with it. It sounds like Vauxhall have had a huge amount of complaints, so much so that Watchdog were notified, yet, they still do not accept responsibility!

Firstly, Can I also ask if anybody knows about an independant investigation being done (i.e. not performed by Vauxhall), and if so, what the results were....surely this would be a fairer way to decide if there is a fault(which there clearly is).

Secondly, has anybody tried a different avenue (e.g. claims direct?)

Exclamation Vectra Handbrakes

On Sunday 9th March I parked my 2004 Vectra in a hotel car park whilst I competed in a sporting event. The car park was on a slope. Between 4 and 5 hours after I had parked it with the brake on securely and it was still unattended ,it slid down the hill into a kerb with the handbrake still in an engaged position. No obvious damage was caused to the vehicle. I checked with my Vauxhall dealership and no recall has yet been made although they are aware of issues. I am amazed that given incidents of this kind Vauxhall are not yet recalling cars like mine for attention as potentially a serious accident could be caused.

I hope pressure from you all can make them take this issue more seriously.

Angry Signum Handbrake Failure

I've had my Signum Elegance 2.0 TDI for nearly 3 years, with too many problems to mention along the way, the latest disaster happened last night when my car's handbrake failed in a car park and it rolled backwards of it's own accord.

I now have a bashed up Signum and two other poor unsuspecting people also have damaged cars.

Apart from the fright of returning to my car after a couple of hours and finding that it wasn't where I left it - thank god that nobody was injured!

I'll be pursuing this with Vauxhall - someone's been giving me signs that I should get rid of this car for years - time to listen!