Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Vectra Handbrake

Default Vectra Handbrake

Has any Vectra owners had problems with the hand brake releasing by itself causing the car to roll?

Had problems with Galaxy's and it's not uncommon, neighbours once woke me, my car was in middle of street. Apparently when brakes cool down discs and/or pads contract losing contact with each other, I now always check it's in gear and point wheels to kerb.

If it's the Lever thats releasing that could be a worn ratchet/pall, caused by not pushing the button in when lifting up.
    Last edited by galaxymadbaz; 27-09-07 at 19:42.

Default ME too

I've had the same problem, and it's a known issue with vectras. Watchdog did an extensive article on it this week - did you see it. Vauxhall/VOSA are denying there is a problem, but an independent engineer demonstrated the likely causation, which matches my experience. It's nothing to do with the discs cooling, but a problem with the ratchet on the lever not engaging properly. Fortunately I was sitting in my car when the lever simply released itself, there was a big bang as the ratchet disengaged and the brakes sprang off, but as I was in the car waiting for my wife it lead to nothing.
    Unless and untill Vauxhall admit there is an issue then make sure you always leave it in 1st or reverse gear. You should have had a letter from them with a pathetic little sticker to put in the car.
    Meanwhile write to them at the address given out on watchdog vauxhall.customerassistance@uk.gm.com - the more people that do then the more likely they are to do something. See http://www.bbc.co.uk/consumer/tv_and...20071003.shtml

Default Vectra handbrake failure

Yesterday I had the misfortune to park my vectra to have it self release the handbrake and roll downhill while my wife and myself were getting our suitcases from the boot having just returned from the airport.The car collided with a road sign causing serious damage to both the street sign and my car.
    Fortunately no one was hurt however the car mounted the pavement before colliding with the street sign and if anyone had been walking on this pavement it would have mown them down.There is also the fact that this could have happened with my young grandchild in the car as I was walking round to get her out of her child safety seat.I have lost confidence in the car now and am seriously considering changing to another make of car although this will probably cost me a considerable loss on my current car.
    Last edited by robertburns_29@; 10-11-07 at 12:20.

What year Vectras are you discussing, the technical bulletins for Vx state a recall for 2003 handbrake problems

This happened to me in March this year. My new Vectra rolled down a hill early in the morning and crashed into a wall, blocking the only exit out of the road and preventing people from getting to work. As yet, all that Vauxhall have done is send out a letter and a sticker telling me how to park. Specifically, it tells me to pull the handbrake up without pressing the button in (which goes against what I was taught) and to always put it in gear.

There's obviously a problem and I know Watchdog are on to this, but surely its about time Vauxhall did a bit more than send all Vectra/Signum owners stickers?
    Last edited by jmhdorset; 05-12-07 at 00:39.

Angry Vectra Handbrake

Hi,

My Vectra has just rolled into the garage door for the second time. This time it has demolished it.

My car was serviced two weeks ago and I highlighted a concern with the handbrake. They said it was checked and all okay - which is obviously not the case.

Cool Vectra Handbrake

Hi
    Like many of the other answers given, I experience the handbrake release last November(07). I had just parked in my driveway and took my baby grand-daughter from the car into the house. Next thing my daughter who was getting her luggage out of the back of the Vectra Estate yelled that the car was moving backwards. I jumped into the car but the hand brake was on. My daughter told me she clearly heard a popping noise and the car begun to move. I took the car to the Vauxhall dealers knowing the problems that have been reported and they told me having checked it that there was nothing wrong with the handbrake but as mentioned by the Galaxy member, it was probably caused by the brakes cooling down and then springing off the discs. What a load of crock. They went on to inform me that they had to fit something in the engine compartment that monitors the air flow as a seperate call-back issue by Vauxhall under the warranty even though no letters had been posted out to owners. Only by my turning up at the dealers did I find out about this matter.

Default Vectra Handbrake Failures

Good day. I think that there is now no doubt that there is a major problem with Vectra/Signum handbrake failures. I am a lawyer in Edinburgh and have a client who was badly injured by crushing when her Signum rolled back on her just after she had parked it. I am in contact with dozens of owners/users who have had similar experiences and am aware of a number of cases being handled by lawyers in England where personal injury has occurred. One lawyer in Manchester is dealing with a fatal accident where a parked car rolled away and hit two ladies one of whom was trapped and sadly died.

An engineer in England has a video of a failure happening under test in December 07. This is being passed to VOSA.

VOSA are investigating at present and an enquiry involving them, the police and also the handbrake manufacturer (not Opel/Vauxhall) is under way. The manufacturer is a subcontractor to Vauxhall/Opel and the handbrake is made in Europe.

At the moment there are far too many cases for it just to be user error though it seems that we do not have a definitive explanation for the failures as yet. There are other forums on other sites which go into this sad episode at length over the last few years so if you are affected you are not alone! Complain to VOSA and refer your complaint to Martin Ryder there at the Vehicle Safety Branch Berkley House, Croydon Street, Bristol. BS5 0DA.

I would be happy to learn of any other incidents. No, I am not touting for more business! The more cases we know of the less likely Vauxhall can say people that drive Vectras/Signums are too stupid to apply the hand brake properly!

Meantime park leaving the car in gear and wheels to the kerb and hope that will be sufficent to hold the car in the event of a failure. Anyone considered that if your car is bumped in that condition that it might damage gearbox etc?

regards all
    Last edited by Jon Grant; 09-01-08 at 12:47.

Default vauxhall astra handbrake failure

On 15/01/2008, my wife who has 23 yrs driving experience with no accidents or claims parked our 2006 astra on a hill to visit a friend. she parked the car and applied the handbrake, (it was quite a steep hill and the car would have certainly rolled back if the handbrake was not applied properly). she proceded to knock on the front door of the person she was visiting and remembers looking at the stationery car while waiting at the door.
    she spent approx 20 mins on her visit and left the house to find to her horror the car had gone.
    The car had somehow rolled down the hill firstly hitting a parked car and then careering across to the other side of the road and crashing into a wall causing probably thousands of pounds worth of damage.
    There have been many reports of the vectra and signum having a handbrake fault but how many astras have the same fault ?.
    Vauhall motors needs to get a grip and recognise there is a fault before more innocent people are killed. It was only by luck that in my wifes case the road was clear and there were no pedestrians on the pavement at that time.
    please do contact me if anyone else has had similar.
    Last edited by Jon Grant; 16-01-08 at 09:08.