Thread: Patent filed to stop smartphone use behind the wheel

Default Patent filed to stop smartphone use behind the wheel

Good news if your pet peeve is people using their phone while driving - American tech giant Apple have filed a patent which could stop drivers using their smartphones behind the wheel.

The "lock-out mechanism" would be able to determine if the user is driving a car and if he/she is, the phone would lock, stopping drivers from calling, texting or using apps. (more info: http://bit.ly/1k1eJCR)

How do you feel about this latest update to smartphone technology?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Gray View Post
    Good news if your pet peeve is people using their phone while driving - American tech giant Apple have filed a patent which could stop drivers using their smartphones behind the wheel.

The "lock-out mechanism" would be able to determine if the user is driving a car and if he/she is, the phone would lock, stopping drivers from calling, texting or using apps. (more info: http://bit.ly/1k1eJCR)

How do you feel about this latest update to smartphone technology?
    Stopping apps as in google maps will annoy people

Don't have a smartphone but if people can't be trusted to be sensible and have their phones off when driving, why not an app to prevent it's use as a phone? I can see the point if folks are using their phone as a satnav that they would get annoyed but if the proposed app just stops calls/texts usage....?

Quote.........."American tech giant Apple have filed a patent which could stop drivers using their smartphones behind the wheel."That seems a lot research and tech know how, when all you have to do is switch your phone, off when your driving.......simples, Winking Smiley.A lot of folk are banging on about banning "hands free kits" soon they will want drivers to be banned from talking to their passengers???????
    Last edited by smudger; 26-04-14 at 21:11.

This is pretty strange. If I wanted to use my phone while driving, and my overpriced apple wouldn't oblige, I would simply trade it in for one that would. If it was provided by my employer, I suppose it would be OK, but I could still carry one of my own.

I am all in favour of drivers not being allowed to use their phones whilst driving - hands-free or not. Having had white van man coming straight at me whilst he had phone to his ear, and was waving his other hand/arm about to emphasize his speaking, we had a near miss (he was moving into my path and corrected at the last second, and in the busy, main thoroughfare of our small town), and it clearly demonstrated that even hands-free phones don't control every situation. And how many calls whilst on the move are really that important? - very much in the minority in my opinion.

What is important is the ability for a passenger to make a call in a moving traffic emergency (e.g., hit-and-run, road rage, etc.), and it isn't unreasonable for a passenger to be able to make a call whilst on the move. To disable the driver's ability to use the phone when on the move would need some electronic interlock (say pressure pads in the driving seat), but with freedom to use the phone when the engine is switched off. Secure tamperproof software would be needed to foil those prepared to try to bypass the system.

smudger, it isn't a case of people "banging on". My example of our experience with white van man could so easily have turned out in tragedy. Vehicles out of proper control have no place on our roads, and authority must use every means at its disposal to stamp out idiotic behaviour.