Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reported for dangerous driving.

Question Reported for dangerous driving.

Okay so on the weekend I was reported to the police for dangerous driving. I was following a car through a town at around 20MPH in a 30 zone and followed for probably a mile. When the road opened up to the National speed limit (60) I moved to overtake. After overtaking I continued down the road and a few hundred meters down the road it changed to a 40 so I slowed down to the correct speed and she continued at what I guess was 60 s she caught right up to me and followed, then I just continued out and made my way back up to 60 when the speed limit changed.

Now I have been reported for dangerous driving because "it was a blind road" and for speeding. She also said she recorded me to continue to drive dangerously but I drive flamboyantly and make use of the road whilst in a open country lane.

Now here is the road I over took on.

I have been contacted by my work telling me that they have given my details to the police and they will be contacting me.

I was in a works car which is how she knew it was me. My job depends on this, what do you guys think?

Welcome to the site Tehmerchant, this part of your post worries me.........."at what I guess was 60 s she caught right up to me and followed,"If it was that driver that reported you, they must have thought that they had a reason to do so, and if no one else saw what happened! it's her word against yours.It's normally the police them selves that report drivers for "dangerous driving" and in most cases they have the proof on tape, taken via their in board cameras, or road side cameras.I would contact the police directly, and ask what proof they have, also you said, that she knew it was you because of the company van, is there a history between you both?

The police are unlikely to respond to requests for "proof". You're not entitled to it, and in any case they'll want to hear your version of events first.

If they do contact you for an interview, you should arrange to do it at the police station. You are then entitled to have a solicitor with you on legal aid.

If you are charged with anything, and plead not guilty, then any evidence will be disclosed before it comes to court.

What was the make and model of the other car? It may have been a police officer driving it.

Have you heard from the police yet?

They will want you to go on a Speed Awareness course, I think.

I doubt it Dennis - they are only for 'speeding' drivers.

Do you know the person who "grassed you up?"

Forget the incident as the police will not persue it. Her word against yours and she caught you up in the 60 zone. So what speed was she doing? What do you call "flamboyant driving" ? Is this to be interpreted as being bullying, flash, dangerous, risk taking or just wearing a clown suit? Don't mention flamboyant driving to anyone in this incident as it smacks of other things.

Dangerous driving whilst an easy offence to allege, is a very difficult case to prove. Firstly, to secure a conviction it has to be proven beyond all reasonable doubt that the standard of driving fell seriously well below that expected of a reasonably safe and competent driver, and based on what you have stated, then there is no evidence to support that offence.

Even to prove careless driving, it has to be proven beyond all reasonable doubt that your standard of driving fell below that of a reasonably safe and competent driver, and if you were not exceeding the speed limit and you were simply using the road to improve your view by driving in a dominant and advanced position, then any prosecution would be bound to fail.

The fact that the other driver caught up with you, also brings their driving ability into question.

The Police may decide to interview you which will give you the opportunity to explain your side of things, but as it is the other persons word against yours, it is unlikely that a prosecution will occur as it would not be in the public interest and the cost against the Police would be substantial were you to win.

Beelzebub, Legal aid is not available for the majority of traffic offences unless it is promoted up to the Crown Court (which is where dangerous driving cases are heard) and even then it is means tested. Thee have been substantial changes to legal aid funding in recent months, but it was never available for the majority of driving offence cases.