Thread: Do energy saving light bulbs really last for ten years?

Lightbulb Do energy saving light bulbs really last for ten years?

Answer: Only if they never get switched on.

Yet another Rip off in my opinion.

Many of the energy light bulbs have a fluorescent-based design. These are not designed to be repeatedly switched on and off over short periods of time. Doing so will shorten their lives. Those energy bulbs designed to operate with PIR sensors are better suited for general use, but are more expensive. the later generation of LED lights are probably the most suitable for repetitive switching, and are the most effective for energy saving.

Energy saving light bulbs do not live up to the claims made on the box, in my experience.

Well I for one, have never owned one for ten years, but the ones we have got, have lasted ever since I put them in, and that was four years ago.

Changed 3 of ours so far, lasted about 2 years.

It all depends on what kind they are, and where you use them.

About three years ago, I replaced the 8 halogen spot lights on my living area walls with CEF's. This was not a good solution, as although they used less power, they did not last very long. They don't fail, but gradually go dim - they also have the slow warm-up problem.

Last October, I replaced them all with LED's. They were on special offer but were still expensive but it seemed the best alternative to totally replacing the fittings. So far I am happy. The meter barely registers when I turn them on; the light is bright, but not too bright; they come on instantly, and they stay very cool. I estimate that they will have to last at least a couple more years to pay for themselves but I have no reason to believe that they won't.

Elsewhere in the house, I still have a mixture of CEF's and those mini tubes. These lights are not left on for long periods so the energy consumption is not the main criteria. On places like hall, stairs and landing, I want instant light.

No, they last just as long as the old, now banned ones and give off less light! We had a deal with the LA and got free lightbulbs. I replaced all my key light bulbs with the free energy-saving jobs and they weren't up to the task. Only one has lasted 2 years and is on the way out - less light than a glow-worm and takes 5 minutes to reach full power.

I tried to do my bit on energy-saving - it's cost me more dosh and more hassle.

Now looking at LED but not quite following the jargon!

LED lights come in various levels of colour temperature, measured in Kelvins (K). The values of colour temperature range from 1850 K for a candle flame, 27003300 K for an incandescent light bulb to 6500 K for daylight. The ones I have are 4800k and are quite bright enough for me.

An LED is about ten times more efficient than an old style bulb. A 6 watt LED is roughly the same as a 60 watt bulb - that is why they are cheaper to run. They are, of course twenty times as expensive to buy.