Thread: bought a 2008 bmw and timing chain went within the month

Default bought a 2008 bmw and timing chain went within the month

hi am am wondering what rights do I have I bought a bmw 318d from a dealer within the month the timing chain went, I contacted the dealer and at first he said he will pay for some of it now he is saying its nothing to do with him I got a response back basically saying its not his problem I have been looking up a small bit on the internet and I should of got 3 months warranty with the car if bought it from a dealer but I have also said this to the dealer and he wanted to get the car assessed witch I did by a bmw garage and he still is refusing to do anything about it!! so im just wondering what I can do legally about it as a new engine for my car is roughly bout 6grand and I do not have that type of money for that as I only bought the car a few months ago. any advice is appreciated thank you very much!!

You get 6 months warranty protection under the Sale of Goods Act 1979 (not the myth of 3 months).
    Call Citizens Advice Bureau -http://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/ - first to log your complaint and ask them to forward to the Trading Standards for the area where the dealer has his business if it is not in your area.
    Follow their advice re sending recorded letters giving 7 days to respond etc. Sometimes a call from Trading Standards will get the dealer to change his attitude, sometimes not. Some Trading Standards offices are not as enthusiastic as others.
    If all this fails then a solicitor or the small claims court using Moneyclaim - https://www.gov.uk/make-money-claim-online

Personally I would tell the dealer to take the car back (negotiate as best you can to try and persuade him), refund all your money and go somewhere else. This is HIS cheapest option so point this out as repairing at a BMW dealer will be a massive bill. The Sale of Goods Act is on your side. And be aware this is a very well known weak point on these engines which BBC Watchdog investigated.

The trouble with timing chains is, they can go at any time, which is always the excuse used by car dealers, for that old excuse of wear and tear?

Quote Originally Posted by smudger View Post
    The trouble with timing chains is, they can go at any time, which is always the excuse used by car dealers, for that old excuse of wear and tear?
    Not on this engine. Very well documented and premature failure is well known. Timing chains fail when they stretch and/or the tensioner breaks up or otherwise fails.

Nice of the OP to thanks us for our contribution.