Thread: Dealership consumer rights?

Default Dealership consumer rights?

My husband bought an '07 ford transit t260 with 70k on the clock for £7090 3 months ago.

It was drinking oil and 7 weeks in we notice a substantial oil leak, on inspection it seems to be the fuel injector seals. The garage reluctantly say they will look at it, and their mechanic confirmed but after delivering the van back to the dealership (20 miles away) they are saying I need to pay for parts from Ford @ £25 EACH plus VAT. I said I had found non genuine parts for under £10 the set (£5 and £8 on ebay, also £12 a set of 4 at local retailer) could we not use those and he got shirty saying if that's the case I should get it done elsewhere but they will not pay labour costs.

Where do I stand RE consumer rights? Its not the first problem with this van, it has painted over rust that only became apparent after purchase, the passenger door sticks AND we've already had to replace the key as central locking didn't work on the single key they gave us. The manager offered to do it free from labour costs so I would pay for parts only which I appreciate but I am reluctant to pay for any of it!

PS I'm aware consumer rights take into account the age and condition of the vehicle but believe that my husband paid over the average cost for similar vehicles because of the assurances that come from using a dealer and it was his first time. (he was made redundant from the army and is now going self employed carpenter)

Is the fuel injector seals something that would have been checked? is it wear and tear? the garage are basically saying it is not their responsibility but im not buying it . . . . >_>
    Last edited by Mily.moon.lei; 09-04-14 at 16:46.

Welcome to the site M, the dealer has to give you a three month warranty by law, so he knows that he must repair the oil leak problem.As for the other things, well to be honest, they should have been noticed visually, before buying it. The price paid seems a bit high for the year and mileage on it, but I hope you get things sorted out for you.

Quote Originally Posted by smudger View Post
    Welcome to the site M, the dealer has to give you a three month warranty by law, so he knows that he must repair the oil leak problem.As for the other things, well to be honest, they should have been noticed visually, before buying it. The price paid seems a bit high for the year and mileage on it, but I hope you get things sorted out for you.
    Hi Smudeger, thanks your reply.

I'm happy to accept the van condition (it was my husbands choice and he accepted these issues) although the rust was painted over and only a small part was noticeable intill my DH started to to sand it away to treat it became apparent it was a massive issue! but more fool him for not checking it and part of buying 2nd hand so that's fine

The dealership say its wear and tear so not covered by warranty and our problem. The warranty is for 2 years as standard btw and DH extended to 3. but I argue we could not have done that much wear in 3 months and only 500 miles? I have spoken to trading standards consumer advice and they said "written formal complain, dont back down" and i've done this today after another no ground phone call with dealership manager, but family think its easier to avoid confrontation and he needs his van back -i am stuck doing the weeks shopping on bus with toddlers in tow as DH has my car- but I have dug my heels in and reluctant to let it go ....

Aye! I know what you mean, it's the principal of the thing, and if it means you have to use the bus for a few days, for your shopping, then it's worth it just to get the result you want!It's OK for trading standards to say, "give them time" it's not them that is being mucked about by that dealer, it's you.If they had any intention of fixing the problems, they would have done so by now, so out the pressure back on them, good luck.

Its been on the drive for 2 weeks and another week there, they called today to say "its ready come and pay over £100 for parts" and i said "err no" and lodged my formal written complaint. I'm happy to wait another week arguing, i feel pretty rightous about it even with the weekly shopping trip to Tesco on the bus Thanks for your time, I appreciate the luck aswell

I went to collect and pay -under protest- and the van was “out on a test run” and not ready for us (!!) would be ready in 3 hours but maybe wait till tomorrow and he "would phone". We had a big discussion cleared up a bit of miscommunication, and the manager basically saying i'm making a big deal out of nothing and kept tell me to "check" my references to "fit for purpose sale of goods act". I kept my cool and didn't back down but left even more angry. I've emailed to clarify a few misunderstandings in black and white and haven't had a call yet to say its been sorted. Doubt it will be intill Tuesday now with the bank holiday weekend. Not happy bunny this Easter!