Thread: Car tax

Default Car tax

I'm buying a used car from. Dealer. It has no tax..What do I need before I can tax it? I can arange insurance same day but I wouldn't have the policy straight away, do I have to wait untill I get it in the post before I can tax it?

Ask the dealer to tax it for you. Make sure you have your own insurance before driving away.

Lightbulb

Can you go to a Post Office near by to the dealers? Ask the dealer for his advice. Have a look at the DVLA website for latest details.
    Last edited by Dennis W; 16-04-14 at 11:47.

It is usual (has been for all the cars I ever bought from dealers) for the dealer to arrange the tax, and to add it to your bill. Often, when they advertise it as "taxed and MOT'd" it will only be taxed for six months.

Welcome to the site Petek, you can always arrange a cover note, over the phone or on line, and that will cover you until your policy comes through to you.I did that when I bought our present car, and it worked out OK, as my policy came through two days later.(They sent me a cover note via Email, and I just printed it out)

Getting road tax has changed so much recently. Most of the DVLA Local offices have now closed. The paperwork which you need to show the Post Office is also changing.

Not sure how this has changed?

"If you have a vehicle tax reminder (form V11 or V85/1 for HGV), bring it to your nearest vehicle licence-issuing Post Office branch along with:

A valid MOT/GVT/PSVC if required your vehicle tax reminder will tell you if you need this. Your MOT must be valid on the date from which the tax disc starts or the date the tax disc is issued whichever is the later.

For disabled vehicle tax, you need to bring a valid Exemption Certificate

Reduced pollution certificate if required"